1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Pug and Puff

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by portland6, Dec 7, 2007.

  1. I've been asked to offer a definition of these terms, but cannot find one anywhere. Could anyone help?
  2. I've been asked to offer a definition of these terms, but cannot find one anywhere. Could anyone help?
  3. I THINK a pug is like 'ears' at the side of the page with text in. A puff is a short snippet of text to gain attention of audience e.g. 'free toast!'. I may be wrong!
  4. Thanks.
  5. hello,

    my understanding of puff = a phrase that gives the magazine an identity, that 'puffs up' its image e.g. FHM's puff is 'for men who should know better' or Eve 's 'beautiful, useful, real'.
    Hope this helps,
  6. Ruby - what you're describing is a 'tagline'. Movie posters and (increadingly) TV shows have them too.

    Pugs are rarely seen any more in British national newspapers, but you can find an example here: http://www.uie.com/images/blog/NYTimes.com_NYTimesFrontPage.g... - they're the little items either side of the masthead.
  7. And there's me thinking it must be "Plugs" not "pugs" ....
  8. CarolineEm

    CarolineEm New commenter

  9. The reason I have asked this is because the AQA A English Language GCSE Mark Scheme tells markers to reward comment on "Pugs and Puffs" - and yet, even on the Media Studies forum, I cannot get a definitive definition of what those are! How did English teachers mark this? What the heck are they?
  10. The English teachers a my school asked me to help, i gave them a hand out from a text book which identified the elements of a newspaper front page, also one showing the elements of a magazine cover. Could forward this to you if you like spudmoran@hotmail.com. We have had discussions about how parts of the English GCSE are more Media than English, dont understand what the exam board is trying to achieve.
  11. englishtt06

    englishtt06 Occasional commenter

    I'm teaching Media this year and as I understand it a pug is a promotional visual (like the star shapes or circles you see on magazine covers that promote something inside - like free lip gloss etc.) and the puff is like a slogan on ths cover (a tag line as others have called it), i.e. 'the best lads mag in the UK'. That's what I've been teaching this year!
  12. OK, I'll try to be as definitive as I can.

    1) PUG - see my last post. That's as defintive as I can make it - they're named after the ears on the dog of the same name. This is why they're sometimes also referred to as EARS.

    2) PUFF. I was a radio and TV journalist for eight years, and 'Puffs' were pieces of journalism that essentially served to promote the subject of the report. They were generally viewed - especially at the BBC - with mistrust, as they constituted free advertising. It is in the line of advertising/publicity that the term appears to be used in newspaper publishing. My copy of 'Key Concepts & Skills for Media Studies' by Clark, Baker and Lewis, defines a Puff as "Small sections on the front page, often with coloured images, which advertise features inside the newspaper". In this I am at one accord with CarolineEm/Heinemann - they serve rather like the cover lines on a lifestyle magazine.
    By this definition, on the front page www.allisonmedia.net/images/newspaper_mirror.jpg the puffs are the two element at the top of the page named "Riot 2" and "Oh My" (and including the attached text and imagery). The line "Newspaper of the Year" is the newspaper's TAGLINE.

    The confusion may arise because book publishers use the word 'Puff' in the way the rest of us use 'slogan' or 'tagline'. But what do they know...
  13. Sorry if my bemoaning a definitive answer seemed to suggest that replies weren't detailed enough - what I was really saying was that I have been offered several here, and whilst there is a general indication that they are promotional bits on the front of newspapers, people are pointing out different elements and I'm still left scratching my head.

    My concern is that someone at AQA has heard the term, and used it in an exclusive way in a mark scheme that should be clear and open, offering no definition or evidence of understanding. If I haven't found a defintion I fully understand after 3 days of looking, how did all the English markers around the country award those points in the Summer? And why not put "Award marks if they discuss THE COLOURFUL BOXES and PROMOTIONAL PHRASES on the page"? I'm not an advocate of dumbing down - but neither do I support complicating up!
  14. I don't teach English, but your comment about the mark scheme sparked my curiosity. However, I can't find the document you refer to anywhere on the AQA website. Can you point me towards it?
  15. Aaaah - sadly, still at the point where you have to pay for the blasted thing!
  16. Aaah - not AQA then, surely?
  17. phew i was wondering....is there alternative 'media terminologies' students might have used here ? eg 'pulls' 'pull-outs' 'call-outs' etc??
    praps web pages need new terminology as this kind of design feature seems more appropriate on a web page than on the NY Times Masthead (thanks for helpful examples)
  18. The Internet has a vocab all its own, of course. Menus, navigation, hierarchy, usability, rollover, hypertext, flash animation, banner, pop-up, URL, meta-tags, etc. etc...

    (See what you've started?!)
  19. CarolineEm

    CarolineEm New commenter

    Some years ago, when my Mum got her first computer, she complained that there was an assumption that she would understand "computer speak".

    She said that, to her, a mouse was a small rodent that squeaked; a window was something you opened on a hot day; a menu was a list of food available in a restuarant, and an icon is a piece of early Christian art representing a religious personage.

    So, when she was told to click the mouse over the icon to open the window and then look at the menu....!
  20. I marked that paper last year and although it mentioned pugs and puffs (the examiner explaining it didn't know what they were either!)the students didn't have to use those terms to get the marks. In fact not using any media terms at all does not stop them getting high marks, although it is welcomed.

Share This Page