1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Puddings for babies and toddlers

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kittenmittens, Jan 10, 2012.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

My LO (13 months) is a bit bored of her usual fresh fruit, yogurt or the odd baby pudding jar. I've made her blackberry and apple crumble and rice pudding in the past, which both freeze well- any other suggestions for homemade puds? They would need to be easy recipes as I'm a rubbish cook- OH does all the cooking usually!

2. kittenmittens

My LO (13 months) is a bit bored of her usual fresh fruit, yogurt or the odd baby pudding jar. I've made her blackberry and apple crumble and rice pudding in the past, which both freeze well- any other suggestions for homemade puds? They would need to be easy recipes as I'm a rubbish cook- OH does all the cooking usually!

3. kittenmittens

Thank you, those are great! Just thought of sugar-free jelly too, LO loved it at a birthday party recently.

4. What an amzing link! Personally, I spend so much time making her main meals, I try and give puddings that are not cooked by me. I also try and make it finger food so that I can have a bit of time to eat my own lunch or clear up the kitchen! Here are some things my LO enjoys....
    Toasted tea cake/fruit loaf
    Bread and jam
    Malt loaf
    Mini blueberry muffin
    Dried Fruit
    Bananas and custard
    Sometimes we finish the meal with cheese instead of a pudding.
    Nothing particularly amazing or inspiring I'm afraid but hopefully some ok ideas for you x

5. kittenmittens

Lots of good ideas, thank you!
    I made some poached pears this afternoon which are nice, v easy too. Also made some rice pudding but had a bit of a disaster- I misread the recipe as 500g pudding rice when it should have been 50g, so needed gallons of milk- I used 8 pints in the end in 2 huge saucepans. Used all my freezer trays and pots, fridge is full of it, so I took some round to 2 neighbours who have babies, they were v grateful and I needed to get rid of it! Oh dear.

6. That's very very funny! Sometimes LO has cereal if the cupboards are truly bare! Cheerioes or sahreddies are popular x

7. I do most of what other people have suggested but I also do baked custards and sometimes banana baked custards. Eve's pudding is also a good bet - reduced sugar sponge and variety of fruits. I do lots of crumbles - hardly any sugar and then make batch of topping and freeze it so can just decant the topping out as and when needed. In terms of rice pudding (easily done btw!) I find adding some vanilla is a good way of getting round virtually no sugar.

8. kittenmittens

Ooh you sound like a great cook! Think I will try a sponge next, I have some reduced suagr jam that could go with it... custard sounds lovely too x

9. kittenmittens

Hmmm I made some rubbish fruit purees when LO was about 6 months old, and never tried again so I just buy the puree fruit pots. LO also has fresh fruit as finger food, mashed up banana and mango etc, and dried fruit. My friend purees canned fruit and freezes that, sounds much easier but I wonder whether it's worth the effort in terms of nutrients, vs ready made fruit pots? Probably much cheaper.

10. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Just be careful with sugar free jelly - it's usually full of aspartame!