1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Publishing advice needed please ...

Discussion in 'Music' started by sooze98, Aug 19, 2019.

1. sooze98

sooze98 New commenter

Hi there,

I have written several children’s songs and am looking to see if I might be able to get them published. They are individual songs rather than an entire assembly or show.

Has anyone got any experience of this that they could share as I’ve not done it before?

I have investigated how to go about copywriting my work but I’m wondering if I should approach several different publishers or just focus on one at a time? If my work is accepted how would I be paid and roughly how much would I receive? If published would I be restricted to who and how I could share my songs with?

It’s all new to me so I’m just throwing it out there to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in anticipation of your help :)

2. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

I'm a writer and publisher of music for schools (www.onemoretime.biz). I often receive letters from people like you, asking if I would consider publishing their music, and always reply with a polite 'no'. The main problem is that in the current economic climate school budgets are disgracefully low due to under-funding. It's a massive risk to try publishing and selling new music at the moment, and it's likely that you will make a loss, however good the music is. Production of CDs, marketing, setting up and maintaining a website and printing costs have to be taken into account, and an initial outlay before actually producing anything is potentially prohibitive. I'm prepared to take a certain amount of risk with my own music, but cannot affore to do so with other people's work.

I'm so sorry to be negative but, unless others contradict me, I'm also being realistic.

If, despite my warnings, you would like some advice about self-publishing I would be glad to help. You can contact me via the website.

Brian

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Just put it on Amazon for print on demand and see what happens. But you're never going to make much money. When I had a children's choir I had a very small budget so I used free music and second music and music I already had and very rarely bought anything because I could get by without doing so.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I can only echo what others have said about the difficulty of getting music published today. Even if you were lucky enough to get a contract, the best that can be expected is a 10% royalty, and that is often 10% of the wholesale price, which is typically only half the cover price - so, if a song sells at £2, you get 10p a copy.

5. sooze98

sooze98 New commenter

Thanks for your advice everyone

6. Mussette

Mussette New commenter

So from the other side of the coin, from the perspective of the educator, what the others have said tracks. We often have a very limited budget that is impossibly small for a massive amount of things we have to get done. There's so much going on and money only goes so far. You could have 40 students or 400 (like us) and you'll only have funding for roughly 80% of what you want/need to do on your own. Because of this, they more than likely have alternative ways to get music that's not directly from the publishing company. For instance, they might have an entire library of things they can revisit.