1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

publishers demanding subscriptions

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lifereallyistooshort, Jul 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

Am I the only MFL HOD that finds it outrageous that text book publishers (OUP, Pearson) are increasingly limiting access to transcripts and audio files by only selling them as renewable subscriptions?
    In the bad old days, you could fork out a few hundred quid and get a pack of CDs and a teacher's book that would last as long as you used the books. As we know, books could be used for many years...
    Now it seems that if you want the audio etc, even if you can still by a proper book, it has to be as an annual subscription - which over the course of a text book's life, will cost vastly more than the old CDs, for no obvious benefit to schools. In a time of austerity, when departments can't be sure of funding for future years, and when schools need all the financial help they can get, I feel this practice is totally unacceptable. Fair enough, offer a digital subscription service for those who want it, but please continue to offer one-off purchase options for those of us who don't.
    Rant over.
    Am I missing something? Are there new GCSE books out there with non-subscription audio available?

2. ladyofrohan

ladyofrohan New commenter

Eduqas books have a CD - it comes with the Teacher's book which costs £65. It's not the best book but at least it's affordable! (I'm a private tutor and home educator and it was my only option for my group of 3 who hopefully will be sitting GCSE next year as private candidates.)

I also use Studio and you can buy the sound files but at £200 they are expensive for an individual (although fine for a school).

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Shocking! I have heard that some people are brazenly using things like Freecorder to take the MP3s they've paid for and store them in their memory files as MP3s. It's not really on, but you can imagine why some would do so.

Landofla likes this.
  4. lifereallyistooshort

I tried ordering the Studio audio separately - but was then asked to agree to an annual subscription... It certainly is not made clear on the website that it is a subscription. Unless this is an administrative error on the part of Pearson, it looks as if they have stopped allowing a one-off purchase.

5. Eirianedd

Eirianedd New commenter

Publishers are businesses: they need to make money too!

6. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

We never buy textbooks with an annual subscription. When the year comes that you can no longer afford it, what do you do! So far we have always been able to buy the sound files and teacher book as a standalone - from Pearson and from Hodder. Unless as you say it has changed...?

7. lifereallyistooshort

My fear is that it has changed with the new Pearson text books.... I will take it up with them in the coming days and let you know for sure.

8. Eirianedd

Eirianedd New commenter

I think there is far too much reliance on textbooks in language classes these days.

gianfrancoconti1966 likes this.
  9. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Yes I think it is a rip off. Especially as they aren't really that good. They rarely cater for teachers who are teaching listening skills they only seem to 'test' them. With schools having less and less funding they will soon find out we cannot afford them. Thanks for the info about the teacher's book and Eduqas I hadn't realised there was a CD. I prefer to use Mary Glasgow listenings for the higher pupils and it is much cheaper.

10. ngflblount

ngflblount New commenter

minka1 likes this.
  11. lifereallyistooshort

update. It is possible to buy separate audio for the new Pearson text books, but they don't promote the option ...
    Anyway, mission accomplished. Audio bought and no subscriptions to renew.

12. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

I have the CDS for OUP's new GCSE French book. Never thought of buying anything else!

13. lifereallyistooshort

Is it possible to get the teacher's book for the Hodder A level books without buying a subscription? We have the student books but no teacher book... Not a big problem, as the transcripts are included with the audio, but still annoying.