1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public sector pay cap to be lifted next year, No 10 says

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Smithy84, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Only for a limited period, only for some PS workers and below inflation....

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Why bother saying anything at all beyond, "It's up to individual academies to set their pay."

And then make sure that no extra funding goes out (or turn a blind eye to the HT using the monies to buy gold hubcaps on his Rolls Royce)

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

It's all rubbish, a classic 'Jam tomorrow' announcement which can be easily changed in the future but reduces the immediate furore.

5. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

Weasel words from a bunch of rats.
    Show how stupid they think we are

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The Tories can see how things are going and expect some social unrest. get the Cops and Prison guards onside. Maggie did the same thing.

7. install

install Star commenter

Too little, too late :cool:

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

According to Question Time before the summer the PS is still doing better than the private sector.

9. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

That escaped my mind entirely!

10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Established commenter

Without the funding I cannot see it being awarded certainly not fully. Typical conservatives, do not value the public services.

phlogiston likes this.
  11. needabreak

I don't mean to be controversial but we have to consider that inflation is affecting everyone and there are many more people on much lower salaries than ourselves.

12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

So what?

I hate this race for the bottom rubbish.

(If this was the ToryGraph or the Mail someone would pop up with the "my pensions **** so why shouldn't yours be" rubbish next.)

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hmm. I'm no mathematician but isn't 1% of bug ger all still bug ger all???

needabreak likes this.
  14. needabreak

Come on let's be honest there's a finite pot and they will prioritise what they see fit just as the opposition would if they were in power. Pay rises were never guaranteed in any job and frankly teaching is not top of the list of their priorities. As a teacher, once you get to the top of the increment scale you feel the stagnation more but aren't on a low wage. Those at the start of the salary scale feel inflation more but still get incremental pay increases.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Weren't we supposed to get 1% last year?

Ours disappeared into the Academy finances... the same Academy chain where their reps turn up in plush Audis/BMW?Jags etc with nice 6 figure salaries...

Angry? No reason to be angry... everything is fine, it's all good...

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. needabreak

Choices? Ensure there is an electable opposition that meets the needs of all not just the many. *SIGH.

17. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

For me this is a big part of the issue. A pay rise would always be great - and there are arguments about whether the public sector is now underpaid compared to the private but - much more of an issue is the huge scale of misuse of academy funds. Plenty of reported cases of outright corruption - although apart from removing offenders from their posts there don't seem to be many criminal convictions. But also, lots of instances where nothing illegal is happening but a CEO who never makes contact with a child is earning more than the prime minister while the teachers have no pay rises - and in fact can no longer be recruited because their pay and conditions are so poor. This was the obvious consequence of Michael Gove's pay reforms - we all said it would happen but were ignored.

18. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 New commenter

What's a low salary? What's your salary then?

19. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

As a standard 35 hour week I would agree, but it isn't a standard 35 hour week is it?

On a per hour basis, we are very poorly paid even allowing for the 13 weeks of "holiday"

mrajlong likes this.
  20. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

Every time I do a 12-hour day, I wonder what my hourly rate has sunk to. I'm too depressed to work it out in case I realise I'd have been better off staying a shop girl in the local bakery. At least there were doughnuts with that job.