1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public nudity & assault - Is anyone to blame here?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 2, 2018.

?

Who should know better?

1. The woman alone

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. The man alone

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both the woman and the man

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i suspect not. it is pretty common for women to be scantily clad on both a beach and/or a festival. nothing shocking about it. everyone was over 18 or supposed to be. everyone has the right not to be harrassed whatever they are wearing. and she was more covered in that glitter than a sheer top, tbh!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cheers... not for me but each to their own.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I just thinking a few years ago similar could have been said about breast feeding...

And there is a social double standard. We tolerate men walking around topless in our cities in the summer... why not women?

4. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

Completely true. But as lan said earlier, breasts may not be sexual but are highly sexualised. The reason the lady walked around with her breasts out is not because she was showing that she could breast feed children but because she wanted to be sexually attractive.

This does not excuse the behaviour of the man, who was completely out of order.

Point I was trying to make is that we are very quick to defend that actions of the woman (by law: public indecency and assault/battery) over the actions of the man (by law: assault).

Mangleworzle likes this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

As I posted , I used the term when introducing the parts of the curriculum dealing with sex. I pointed out that Penis and Testicles and Vulva and Vagina and Uterus and Ovaries was a bit long winded and I didn't particularly like the crude vernacular, dangly bits and naughty bits seemed to create the best atmosphere while proper terminology was applied to diagrams and descriptions.

Mangleworzle and Oscillatingass like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

She may have wanted to be provocative in terms of dressing however she wished.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What are you on? A quick look at the posts I've made here will show very clearly what I think about the male idiot in this story. And if you look closely at them you'll notice just how rude I've been about him.

FYI requesting 'a simple yes or no' IS rude...

Oscillatingass likes this.
  8. emilystrange

i fail to see the difference between that glitter and a small scrap of bikini top fabric, tbh.
    you cannot attribute motives to her unless you are a mind reader.

chelsea2 and Oscillatingass like this.
  9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Just wondering how you know she was walking around with glitter on her breasts "because she wanted to be sexually attractive". I wonder if there could be any other reason?

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Because women's breasts are considered to be more overtly sexual by our society than a man's chest is, for every young woman like this one who decides that it shouldn't be any different, I suspect there are many who are pleased that it is the way it is.

11. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

And in answer to my actual point?

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well as has been highlighted elsewhere... that's a social construct and maybe we should be fighting to overcome it?

Desexualise the breasts and set them free!!!

13. emilystrange

they're very annoying things.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm staying out of that conversation :D

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

i don't know? Would it?
    I suspect heterosexual men might react differently to having their body parts grabbed by a woman to a guy. I don't know.

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

You wanna see some todgers out in a public place?
    I suggest following any stag/rugby club crowd around for a night.
    Not saying it's a regular occurrence but it's not entirely unusual for men to get their wangs out in public when they're tanked up.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Speaking personally... I don't think it'd make any difference to me...

I'd not like it either way.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

wangs...

[​IMG]

Orkrider2 likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So this is clothed?

upload_2018-1-4_19-59-7.png

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I suspect heterosexual men would feel obliged not to object by the social conditioning that allows women to get away with such things more than men can. I suspect you know this by the fact that you specified a guy in the first place.

There is a double standard here that women can also benefit from depending on the circumstances. Should it be ok for a man to grab a woman's nipples and it not be considered assault? - bearing in mind this is how the woman has been socially conditioned to interpret it.

We seem to be back to assault v high jinx. Again, social conditioning.

However I do think that many social constructs are very useful, just pointing out that this woman has benefitted from the one that says she has been assaulted rather than should be appreciative of the attention though she seems not to like the one that says she shouldn't have her breasts out on public display.