1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public nudity & assault - Is anyone to blame here?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 2, 2018.

?

Who should know better?

1. The woman alone

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. The man alone

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both the woman and the man

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The beach? I've seen plenty of topless women on beaches in France and elsewhere, but none walking down the street. The women in this story were at a concert on a hot day in the middle of summer, which I'd suggest is closer to a beach than to the High Street!

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

dressing like this is actually fairly normal for festivals. it is not at all unusual, nor considered to be attention seeking or provocative. it's just someone wandering around in glitter...

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Genuine question because I've never been to a festival...

But do men walk around ''tackle out'' with glitter dressing?

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've been to festivals and seen many folk in odd attire, but all remain fully clothed.
    I've never seen anyone, male or female, in a state of undress and preserving their dignity with glitter! Just odd if you ask me.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Depends on the time of day
    A polite and suitably timed "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening" should not cause offence and, should one be male and a hat wearer a quick doff may well be acceptable.
    I believe it is considered impolite to stare, wink or ejaculate in an indelicate matter and that the laying on of hands may constitute a crime (and in some cases may result in drawing back a stump )

The same of course applies to all the rather interesting but basically similar questions asked above

6. Didactylos4

Body painting is becoming popular again

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I did an image search... really need to put safe search on.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

*must be going to the wrong festivals*

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There is no difference but breasts aren't sexual organs.

10. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

Are you meaning to tell me that a woman was walking around a festival with glitter on her boobs looking to breast feed children?

monicabilongame and Vince_Ulam like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Difference between a sex organ and an organ that has been sexualised.

12. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

Are you going to answer my question, Frank?

Does the fact that this woman was on a beach at a pop festival alter the quality of what this man did? A simple yes or no will do.

13. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I recall watching footage on television of the Who live at some festival or other it must have have been around 1974. The reason I remember it is that as the camera panned around the crowd there was in clear view a rather attractive female sitting on the shoulders of a man. She was topless and very attractive. Aged around 14 at the time I was profoundly "moved". It seems to me bare breasts at outdoor rock festivals have been commonplace for many years. I am sure if you googled Woodstock you would find many images of naked people of both genders. The woman in the New Zealand festival was simply part of a very long tradition.

Didactylos4 and emilystrange like this.
  14. Didactylos4

Well we are all getting more....um ...... mature..... now and probably this affects which concerts we go to.
    I'm 'mature' enough to have not even noticed until the paintees were pointed out by a younger member of the group.
    I was concentrating on the music :cool:

Oscillatingass likes this.
  15. Postduif

But aren't they a secondary sexual characteristic, like descended testicles? and are they not then to some extent sexual organs?

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Remove her breasts and she will still be able to have children in the traditional way. The male and female equivalents of walking about with genitals exposed would be penis for the man and vulva for the woman although the male dangly bits are easier to see, when uncovered, than the female naughty bits as I taught to children.

17. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

@BelleDuJour it's common enough not to be noteworthy at rock festivals, tbh.
    @lanokia I've seen some naked men, but not with glitter on bits. it would chafe, no? also... interesting view, but not shocking, nor did i give it any deeper meaning than 'he just wants to be nude, it's hot weather'. there was nothing sexual about it, or threatening.
    and yes, body painting is a thing.
    context is everything. someone being half nude at a rock festival just because they want to be, minding their own business, isn't worth getting on a high horse about. if they're running around rubbing their bits in people's faces, then THAT'S a problem.

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This comment:

Madeline said that one day earlier, she had chosen to wear a sheer t-shirt, and said she was abused by both male and female festival-goers.

Implies that it wasn't fairly normal at that festival.

There's no excusing what he did, but she knew beforehand that she was doing something that was not fully accepted in that place at that time and decided to do it anyway as it fitted in with what she thought she should be allowed to do. I suspect she liked the idea she was being controversial in an "it's me yuman rights" sort of way and in the way of such "protests" was acting in way that assumed that others would have better behaviour than she had.

monicabilongame and Vince_Ulam like this.
  19. Postduif

And the fact that you call the male portions "dangly bits" [accurate if derisive] and the female portions "naughty bits" is interesting as well. What is intrinsically "naughty" about the female vulva?

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The are secondary sexual characteristics without which woman can still conceive. Undescended testicles may leave the man infertile.

Oscillatingass likes this.