1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public nudity & assault - Is anyone to blame here?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 2, 2018.

?

Who should know better?

1. The woman alone

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. The man alone

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both the woman and the man

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Stupidity, drunkeness perhaps, but I very much doubt it was "lust and base desire".

2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Thank you for the clarification. I was concerned you had taken my ironic post literally, and implied a rather cavalier attitude to sexual assault. I am relieved this is not the case.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think he was overcome by the urge to show off to his friends. The young women reacted immediately and he accepted the punishment.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He may have learned that what he thought was the most amusing silliness wasn't. People think that all sorts of things are amusing.

5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Indeed, though I would not wish to spend any time in the company of individuals who find sexual assault amusing.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think it is indecent assault but that doesn't mean it was his intention. His rational processes might have stopped at his perceived hilarity of the forthcoming joke. No wit, no empathy, perhaps white male privilege and toxic masculinity. The young women assaulted him after following him back to his friends, one of the young women wasn't assaulted, they could have reported him to officials but retaliated instead. He was wrong, he and his friends were sensible in not retaliating and the young women got the right result albeit by taking a fair risk.

Laphroig, Dunteachin and Mangleworzle like this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Exactly.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Quite right.

9. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Celeb Big Brother last night, Anne Widdecombe shower scene. WOW.

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

?

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Takes all sorts.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just a thought.....had this been a young man with his todger out, all covered in glitter, and some bird had given it a tug would the response be the same?
    Would he have smacked her one?
    Would folk have said 'he can have his todger out in public. it is his hooman right to do so'
    Would he have claimed sexual harrassment?

cellerdore and Vince_Ulam like this.
  13. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I would like to see this story reversed....

Man walks around topless.

Woman touches his chest ( I have had this on multiple times)

Two men then proceed to beat the woman.

Who is wrong here?

Equality and all.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

What if a guy came up to a topless man and grabbed his nipples?

15. cellerdore

Still assault? I would probably punch him though, or pinch his nipples. Depends how drunk I am haha

16. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

Just as a matter of interest, what would be the correct public reaction on meeting a woman in the street dressed in nothing but a pair of knickers, some glitter and far too much make-up? Am I the only one to wonder if this woman dressed as she did simply in order to provoke some kind of reaction? I only ask because so many people these days seem to spend their time searching for umbrage to take, and I wonder if this woman is one of them.

What the man in question did was, undoubtedly, totally unacceptable - technically an assault, and on any showing the worst kind of boorish ill-manners. I don't approve of people hitting others, but if anyone ever asked for it, he did.

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

She wasn't 'on the street', though, was she?

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Why a guy? would it be different if a woman grabbed his nipples?

19. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

What possible difference could that make? Are you suggesting that there would be a public place where what this man did would be in order? If so then you are either daft or intrepid.

20. cellerdore

I am with you on this. As a below 30 man, i consider myself pretty accepting but would not know how to react. Obviously I would not go and grab her jubblies but I have to ask what she wxpexted from this.

I used to play rugby and a common thing on a haze was the naked barman. While I never partook, I am under no doubt that one pf the boys would have been arrested if caught and we were thrown out of a few places.

What is the difference between a man showing his sexual organs and a woman? A person in this thread stated earlier that it perfectly ok for a woman to wear whatever (or little) they want. Is the same ok for men?