1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public nudity & assault - Is anyone to blame here?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 2, 2018.

?

Who should know better?

1. The woman alone

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. The man alone

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both the woman and the man

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Hmmm...Think you need to put the same question to fashion designers!;)

[On edit]

There are some ways round this:

[​IMG]

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's difficult to imagine what a person might find sexually arousing if not primary sexual characteristics.

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Some of my past girlfriends/partners whilst not going out topless have spent some time at a later stage topless in public. Most have been pretty scantily clad in public at some point
    As have younger family members.

I'm not sure any of my younger family members would have been bothered by the apparent nudity though possibly the teenage boys might have got little flustered.

It isn't that rare now and really hasn't been since as far back as the 70s
    It is probably inadvisable in the winter admittedly

racroesus likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

No, I don't. Do you think these women are ignorant of the fact that most men find bare breasts arousing?

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A tight top with no bra displays as much as these women are displaying. I am sure such outfits are often worn to arouse. This does not excuse the man's behaviour.

Men see women's bare breasts on topless beaches. It does not give them the right to touch them.

Her reaction to his assault was wrong. She should have reported him.

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Attention is one thing, and I'm sure there was an element of attention seeking involved here.
    Grabbing body parts of someone seeking attention is another matter however, and not justified by the excuse that she (in this case) was seeking attention. Wanting people to look at you is not the same as inviting strangers to grope you.

I wouldn't dress like that personally, but it strikes me that if they'd worn a bikini top it wouldnt have been a lot, if any, less revealing (depending on the style of course).

It's ridiculous that people are implying that the mere absence of some cloth can somehow remove the right to say who touches your body.

As for her reaction, I find it hard to condone violence ever, but given the reaction to the situation on here and people are questioning whether she was in some way 'asking for it', i can't feel terribly sorry that that guy, who clearly thinks just because he can see he can touch, learned a lesson the hard way by getting a couple of whacks to the head.

7. FrankWolley

I think you'd have to ask them - I'm not their spokesman.

But I don't see them as naked, and in the situation I don't think they did anything esp. wrong.

PS Don't go to any beach in France this summer...You may get aroused! ;)

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The man is to blame.

Nothing else

9. Vince_Ulam

You were happy to exhibit their photograph earlier.

10. FrankWolley

'Exhibit'? Really? I thought we all should know exactly what we are discussing.

Sorry if it alarmed you...

11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So?
    If someone was aroused by your daughter or granddaughter's appearance, does he have the right therefore to touch her?

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

A bit pervy your need to Google and paste it here. Most people know what bare breasts look like without your photograph.

FormosaRed and Vince_Ulam like this.
  13. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

At one time, from about my early teens to maybe my early 20s I would confess that bare breasts had a arousing effect especially in the right circumstances
    In the right circumstances they still do even at my age. Something that came as a surprise to me.

Since those early days though, public displays of bare breasts may engage my attention for a few seconds but rarely distract from other activities for very long. And certainly I would have no primal urge to go across and grab them
    Nor would I have as a young man

I somehow doubt that, as a mature man, I am exceptional in this.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I found it useful to see the picture to see how thoroughly the girls were covered in make-up/glitter. It informed my comments. I don't see anything pervy about it. It was relevant to the discussion.

Oscillatingass, nomad and Didactylos4 like this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

Exhibit was an appropriate term given your reference to "spokesman".

Your exhibition of these naked women does not alarm me but I doubt you are sincere when you say:
    In a staff room they would be considered naked. Here they are just as undressed.

16. Vince_Ulam

What a peculiar inference.

17. Vince_Ulam

What a peculiar question.

18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Not really. Would you have posed the question of whether they are both to blame for someone touching her had she been wearing a top?

19. Vince_Ulam

Do you think it is appropriate for anyone to comport themselves half-naked at a public music festival where families with children might be present?

20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

No more perculiar than this one