1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public liability insurance

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Didacticmonkey, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Didacticmonkey

Didacticmonkey New commenter

Hello everyone,

Just started to plan out my career in private tutoring, and I had a question regarding public liability insurance. I've heard that you don't necessarily need it as a legal requirement, but would you recommend that I do take out public liability insurance when visiting pupils and when pupils visit me? And, if you do, can you recommend a good insurer to go with and what sort of price should I be paying for the level of cover needed in private tutoring?

Thank you.

2. Didacticmonkey

Didacticmonkey New commenter

Anyone?

Doesn't anybody here take out public liability insurance?

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I don't bother. I did have it but then decided I didn't need it. Some may disagree.
    You do, however, need to tell your house insurer that you have people coming to your house as some only cover a few a week

4. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I have voice union tutor membership which includes PL and PI insurances as well as union support. I work as a supply teacher in schools and as a LEA tutor so this seemed like a cost effective way of getting all 3 for the price of union subs.