1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Public liability insurance

Discussion in 'Music' started by GillP, Apr 25, 2012.

  1. GillP

    GillP New commenter


    I wondered if any of you have ever been asked to make sure your peris have public liability insurance. My Head is questioning it and understandably the peris are up in arms and not really prepared to get it. They think they should be covered under school but as they are self employed, the Head says not. Anyone shed any light on this please?

  2. LennoxBerkeley

    LennoxBerkeley New commenter

    Let me get this straight. They are self employed but don't consider it necessary to have public liability insurance? The bigger question is why you're employing them.
  3. bod99

    bod99 New commenter

    I've never been asked to prove it in school, but all music unions provide public liability insurance so it's not a problem. Surely the issue is why the hell peris wouldn't be in a union? ***.
  4. GillP

    GillP New commenter

    Lennox, let ME get this straight. I'm not employing them, they're self employed. Some of them are in a union, some not.
  5. too right, far too many excellent LA music services have been undermined or forced to reinvent themselves with a more capitalist model, and I for one would not be a musician without subsidised tuition at school (but that's a rant for another day). All but 2 of our peris are music service staff, and the 2 private tutors accept fully that they have to have PL insurance by law. They both found policies fairly quickly that are around £40 pa. In your position I would probably try and find a kind way to tell your peris to put up or shut up.
  6. I think this is far trickier than some presume. If peris are working on your site, using your rooms, your equipment and potentially your staffroom and other facilities, then they should appear in your risk assessments for use of equipment in practice rooms/classrooms, especially if they are using electrical equipment or large instruments.
    If they are not prepared to invest in PL insurance, they should join a union. The MU is not that expensive and offers excellent legal advice. They really should be in a union for their own protection, especially if they are not part of a LA music service. Anyone working one-to-one with children and young adults should be a member of a union anyway - accidents are the very least of all our worries.

Share This Page