1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public Information

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain scarlet, Dec 7, 2017.

1. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Whatever happened to good old Public Information Films. [I do know they were discontinued] but lets face it.
    Some people are just plain stupid, and should not be let out alone

They really do need to put them back on tele.

The amount of people who zoomoff their drives into the road with the speed of a formula 1 racing car!
    Reverse on drive off!

Dip your headlights DON'T DAZZLE

Driving along, suddenly car in front screeches to halt, smoke pouring out from tyre skid,
    2 flasheds on indicator, then turns right or left.
    Whatever happened to miror signal manouver?

Maybe start a campaign.
    Can we get to required viewers to name on a petition, 50000 I thnk needed.

Which do you think we need back, or even grounds for new ones

HelenREMfan likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I found this one quite disturbing at the time.

:eek:

This wasn't much better...

:D:D:D

3. needabreak

Doubt there would be any money to make them.

4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

5. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

They were supplied to broadcasters free of charge to be used whenever they wished to fill slots that lacked advertising revenue.

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Does anyone remember the one warning kids not to play near water? It featured a child reaching out with a stick to get a cloak that was floating on the water and at the end a sinister voice said "I'll be back, back, back, back..." It used to terrify me.

HelenREMfan and needabreak like this.
  8. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

9. needabreak

That's good. The actors and producers wouldn't require payment then.

We could have "How to behave when using public services", "How to help your child in school when you were a non attender yourself",. "The real cost of pets", "How to drive without also using a new fangled communication device", "How to be a decent citizen"... that would be a long one! "How not to be a complete and utter ****** with a microwave and polyfiller", "How not to abuse the use of police, fire and ambulance services"... the list is endless, we could replace a whole channels viewing with them.

10. needabreak

:oops:

11. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Australian campaigns don't pull any punches.

magic surf bus likes this.
  12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I wish they would show this one again

13. needabreak

Indeed they don't. That was a really hard 5 in 21 second watch.

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh @Spiritwalkerness I so agree. There is a box junction just before a swing bridge for a road leading to Morrisons (and precious little else) As I queue in the right hand lane waiting to be able to turn right I grow apoplectic at the first numpty car that on green just pulls forward a mere yard. There is the space to move about 3 car lengths forward to prepare to make the right turn which allows other cars to get the chance to make the turn. (I forgot to say that the road on the right is always clear so one is obeying the rules of the box junction)

15. T34

T34 Established commenter

They are a thing of the previous regime, which maintained the right to tell people who were acting stupidly and inconveniencing everyone else that they were acting stupidly and inconveniencing everybody else.

The current regime does it slightly more subtly. Most of the BBC output is an attempt to change public behaviour, but not in the direction of being less inconvenient to the majority.

16. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Some are better than others. Clunk click with every trip was a good one.

See it, say it, sorted is embarrassing.

17. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

The disturbing ones are probably quite effective, in which case they're right to be disturbing, surely?
    "

18. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Oh how I wish I'd gone into advertising rather than teaching!

captain scarlet likes this.
  19. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

^ I win. No better public information film than this.

knitone and magic surf bus like this.
  20. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

That's the one! Thank you for posting. It's still brilliant. I also remember ths AIDS one in the 80s with the tombstones which made us all think we were going to catch it and die and wipe out the human race. "Don't die of ignorance" there was also matching leaflets which came through the letterbox to further I still fear of imminent death.