1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public Hair

Discussion in 'Personal' started by GwydirStreet, Dec 31, 2015.

1. GwydirStreet

GwydirStreet Occasional commenter

I don't have much now but back in the 1969 I sported one of these:

[​IMG]

Can anyone else remember their old hairstyles?

kibosh likes this.
  2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

cool-men-hairstyles-medium-stylish-hairstyles.jpg

1970's long hair by today's standards but not then!

Pity I didn't look like the model. The 70's were a great decade to be young.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

That first photo looks like Ewan MacGregor with an outrageous hair-don't.

4. GwydirStreet

GwydirStreet Occasional commenter

That;s a bit too smart looking for the seventies I remember, and often came with a beard:)

[​IMG]

les25paul and Yoda- like this.
  5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

In September, I met up with a uni friend I haven't seen for years and she reminded me that I was called Twiggy when we were there. When Twiggy was first on the scene, she had a short unusual hairstyle for that time. I was the same size (sigh) and had a very similar hairstyle.

Then I grew it.

cissy3 likes this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

1980-83
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mine was spikier though
    [​IMG]
    I thought I looked cool :oops:

ValentinoRossi, cissy3 and kibosh like this.
  7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I've never had an unusual hairstyle. Seriously. I haven't. I once had a bob, that's it.

8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I had loads of different hairstyles throughout the 70s, mainly because so many fashions came and went, for the age I was.

Early 70s, (early teens) a sort of skinhead style: A bit like this, but my hair was curly, and it was murder to straighten.

upload_2015-12-31_19-57-32.jpeg

11. ashleysummer

ashleysummer New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
    ValentinoRossi likes this.
  12. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

How badly has my hair been styled? Let me count the ways . . .
    Although I have copied the Billy Idol look, one hairdressing disaster was not the 'Vital Idol' itself, but my husband's attempt, after much cajoling from me, to trim it back into shape. I ended up with a monk's tonsure - not quite the look I was going for . . .
    I phoned the hairdressers in a panic. Being Saturday, they were fully-booked. I managed to convince them it was an emergency. When I walked through the door of the shop, the receptionist managed to stop laughing for long enough to agree that, yes, it was, indeed, an emergency.

sabrinakat, aspensquiver_2 and cissy3 like this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I used to get my friend to iron my long hair before we went out because it had too much wave in it. Then I had a bob in the 70s (longer at the back than the sides). I then went very short for a whie.I am considering stopping colouring my hair because it's such a fag but i always said i would review the situation when I'm 70 and that's a while away yet.

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I had that Twiggy hairstyle! It would have been in the mid-sixties. I used to paint those eyelashes on with felt tip pen too

cissy3 likes this.
  15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Tina Aumont, French actress;
    [​IMG]

16. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

ooh! That was me, too, monica.

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I got my hair cut like this recently. Only cost me twenty pounds and it was the best hair cut I've ever had. Who needs botox when you have a fringo?

[​IMG]

cissy3 and ValentinoRossi like this.
  18. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think Twiggy's cut was the 5 point cut by Vidal Sassoon.

I've had more hairstyles than enough and my biggest disaster was a bubbly perm!! :oops:

cissy3 likes this.
  19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

My grandad was a 'ladies hairdresser' and was trained by Sassoon. As soon as I got old enough to be bothered by my hair I refused to let him cut it. I regret that now because he was very talented. Shame he didn't branch out into punk styles.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

My cousin was an early rival of Sassoon but, unfortunately, his fame lead down the road to alcoholism. :(