1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Public Attitudes to Spoken Language

Discussion in 'English' started by xg!, Mar 28, 2012.

1. xg!

xg! New commenter

I suppose what you've raised is the expections of how people in power should sound?
    Any more ideas from anyone?

2. I am filming a project with a local university at the moment that covers some of this. If you want details, please get in touch.

3. You gave a great deal of abuse about "horrendous" regional accents. Part of your campaign to wreck the language is to have people speaking "properly".

4. Interesting idea, perhaps don't just rely on using Barrack Obama speeches? Look at speeches given by many other politicians from across the spectrum, Youtube can help massively with this. What's important is not that the kids come to admire the same politicians that you admire but that they come to get an idea of what to expect from politicians' speeches in general. Look up a few speeches on Youtube from a range of politicians in your own time, copy and paste the URLs into a word document (word will save it as a hyperlink, allowing you to access it in class straight from the digital whiteboard if you have one of those - [not always a given in Spain, where I work]), and away you go! I've done this a couple of times with my science classes, if I feel the class material doesn't go deep enough, doesn't explain it properly or doesn't keep the kids engaged for more than about two minutes, I find a good video or two on Youtube ahead of time, copy the links into a word document, make a few notes next to each one so that I can refer to that in the class, email that to myself at work, open it on the digital whiteboard and it makes the class fly by!

5. God the assessment criteria are mental and vague, aren't they?
    Make sure you focus on a section in which he goes a bit Martin Luther King and addresses specific different groups within society. Because they are targetted at different groups, it is easier to talk about how people would respond to them.

6. xg!

xg! New commenter

Thanks, this I think will cover it and yes the assessment criteria is mental and vague.