1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pub Sunday Roast

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Jan 16, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

My experience has always been that Sunday Roast in a pub is overcooked, sliced like paper and generally inedible!
    I found an exception today!
    There's a lovely pub near my m-i-l that we visited for lunch today:
    o/h and son had roast beef: 2 thick slices of rosy beef with a popover; daughter had 1/2 portion roast chicken:4 good slices of meat + popover and stuffing; m-i-l and I had roast pork: 6 thinnish slices of melting meat + popover. All served with a big dish of roast potatoes, a big dish of mixed steamed veg (courgette, bean, carrot) and a very nice still-crunchy cauliflower in cheese sauce. We also got mustard, horseradish, apple sauce and cranberry.
    It was (almost) as good as I make at home and has completely demolished my prejudice about pub Sunday Lunch!

PS: The George in Croscombe nr Wells!

2. Hmm, sounds delicious!
    I have to agree with you and much prefer my own cooking.
    We visited the inlaws last Sunday and had lunch in a lovely pub near Cardiff. I can highly recommend their roast lamb.
    http://www.gwaelodinn.co.uk/

3. Idiot here. What's a popover?

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Don't worry, I've no idea either!! Sounds American to me, but anymore than that, I've no idea.

5. Some of my German acquaintances - taught an excrutiating form of 'English' at school by American teachers - use the term 'popover' for a Yorkshire Pudding.....at least they do until I hear then and re-educate them!

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

A popover is a yorkshire pud with veggie puree mixed into the batter, I think. E.g pureed butternut squash. I've never tried them- would be interested in a recipe if anyone has one. And if I'm wrong about the definition, please correct me!

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I always make it a rule to never order the roast in a pub if eating on a Sunday. I'd rather a steak, a pie, or even a burger if that's all I can get!
    How it's possible to get the meat to the correct level of doneness when it's got to sit around on a hotplate for hours whilst some barely trained, dopey teenager hacks chunks off it, is a concept that seems to have eluded almost everyone.
    I also don't see the need to have up to a million different varieties of veg heaped upon my plate, either. At home, I'd much rather have two or at the most, three veggies, cooked properly (this doesn't include the roasties, obviously!). I wouldn't mind as much if the veggies didn't all taste identical (i.e. of water, having had the hell boiled out of them for the best part of a day).
    And, if I have roast beef, I want real Dijon or English mustard or proper horseradish. Those plastic sachets of brown and yellow emulsion paint masquerading as mustard, or of thick, white, vinegary gloop, pretending to be horseradish, actually make me want to weep.
    Well done for finding somewhere decent, though, Henriette!
    I can recommend a number of decent restaurants to go to for Sunday lunch in the Hampshire region as well, if anyone's interested..

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

My Lancashire-born (Irish mother) father always called small individual yorkshire puddings popovers, so I always have, too!
    To me "Yorkshire pudding" is baked in a big tin and cut up to serve!
    Sorry if that isn't what the rest of you call them!!! [​IMG]

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Hampshire's a big county - which bit of it????

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Fair point - the South.

11. I am afraid I had no idea what a popover was either. I thought it was some American thing and had visions of some kind of muffin on your plates [​IMG]

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I knew popovers as individual yorkies, but call all yorkies (large, medium or small) yorkies myself!
    There was an excellent thread on Personal this weekend about Aunt Bessies yorkies. Amazed how many lazy folk cannot whisk up a bit of batter and make their own!
    BTW, Wellington Arms Baughurst (Hants/Berks border) is awesome for Sunday lunch.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Well that explains them then. I had visions of a sort of cake with the roast and was a bit put off. Although why does a restaurant in this country have to adopt an American name for a food invented here?

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Dunno Lapin.......no idea! But to me it's still a yorkie and none of that Aunt Bessie nonsense.