1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PTLLS Micro teach please help!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rosierainbow, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I have a 20 minute microteach next Friday and I am freaking out about it. I have no idea what to do it on (I'm one of those people thaty panics and freaks out about everything!!!!). I'm a law teacher but I don't know how I can collapse something lawe esque into 20 minutes and have people excited about it.

I've not really had any hobbies as as well as teaching in 2 places I also do my PhD and the PTLLS course.

Any ideas would be really appreciated :D

2. Hi All,

I have a 20 minute microteach next Friday and I am freaking out about it. I have no idea what to do it on (I'm one of those people thaty panics and freaks out about everything!!!!). I'm a law teacher but I don't know how I can collapse something lawe esque into 20 minutes and have people excited about it.

I've not really had any hobbies as as well as teaching in 2 places I also do my PhD and the PTLLS course.

Any ideas would be really appreciated :D

3. Ah! I was in your position this time last year and believe me, by Jan you will be regretting spending time stressing over it because you have worse things to come in your course!!

I can't comment on your subject but definitely have a group task ready. For mine, (Psychology) I gave a brief powerpoint and they watched a DVD clip which took about 8 minutes, then I got them into 2 groups for a 5 min task, then they presented their work to the other team. Then I wrapped up for about 3 mins. All in all it was active and an enjoyable microteach.

Can you give them a case study to work through, then present their case study back to the other group? This kills time too because you can always give them more time to discuss it in groups if you have it spare. [​IMG]

4. Hi,

I also do law and have found the classes really respond to debates on sentencing. Most people have a view on what they believe to be a fair sentence, so you could discuss a case and get different opinions on what they believe a fair sentence for that crime will be and then move on to what it is likely to be. Although you cant cover the whole concept of sentencing it works as a very good introduction to the topic and also helps you discover the baseline and current knowledge of the group, good if like me you have to write an analysis after the lesson discussing the students learning.

Hope that helps a little

L x

5. thanks guys.

its not to students its to my peers who will assess whether I have taught them and it can be on anything. Some people have taught football rules etc or even how to sew a button on.

Im freaking a little lol!

x

6. Hi - I did this last summer and my subject is employability - even more difficult to make interesting to people already employed. The key is to keep it simple, everything takes more time than you think and nothing is worse than trying to cram in loads. Brief intro then task gives you a chance to catch your breath.

Are your fellow students law teachers? If not - something quite simple would catch their attention - plus everyone tends to try and look interested anyway - don't forget they're being observed too and it's basically you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. [​IMG]

I spent a happy half hour with someone teaching the basics of food pests, and another with someone teaching math "stories". I panic too, but my microteach set me in good stead for mini teaches as part of interviews.