1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PTFA charitable status - help please!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by lola79, Oct 16, 2018.

1. lola79

lola79 New commenter

I'm a governor at an infant school, and link governor to the PTFA which spans both infant and junior. For years the PTFA has had the excellent cooperation of both schools to fundraise. Funds were then shared equally according to year groups. This month the Head of one institution has unilaterally announced the intention to split the charity and keep future funds raised for their school. Ptfa committee members and my school governors not consulted, just told. I am told the other school's governors are on board. Politically, what the Head wants, the Head will get. I totally understand the advantages to this school in doing this. Legally speaking, I have concerns. Can a charity be thus dissolved? Do parents have to be informed?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

install likes this.
  3. lola79

lola79 New commenter

Thank you nomad!

nomad and install like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You need to look at what the PTFA constitution says but my understanding is PTAs are normally charities that are independent of the school(s). The schools are only the beneficiaries of the charity. As such the head cannot make decisons or issue directions about what the PTFA does with its money. Nor can the governors. Only the decision-making body in your constitution - usually the PTFA Committee has the power to do that and they are, under Charities law, the Trustees of the charity..

Are you registered with the Charity Commission?

Be careful and get advice. If you are legally a Trustee of a registered Charity and you allow this to happen you, and the other Trustees, could be held personally liable for the misuse of funds.

Flanks and harsh-but-fair like this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Flanks likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

nomad likes this.