1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PT NQT Q's

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by fjm1702, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Sorry if this sounds like a moaning post, but need to get some things off my chest [​IMG]
    I'm a part-time NQT (.5) and get one day off a week due to the sporadic timetable I have been given. Not a huge problem, but on my one day off, (which was confirmed in May last year) I have commitments on that day, be that either family/personal or study related.
    Anyway, it turns out that parents/open evenings are on my day off. When I approached the subject with (one) of my line managers, I was told that I could request that I don't attend, and it would either be granted or not.
    Before anyone cracks the whip I totally undertsand the obligations of a teacher, my day does not just end when the bell goes (example is I start at 11am on Wednesday's but am always about from 8am in the school for either pupils/staff or do complete lessons etc.) What I find difficult is that I was given this day off (to suit their timetable) and therefore arranged my other responsibilities on this day, and am being told that I can request not to attend, but it's not a given.
    This has resulted in me having to bring my to yound children into school while I attended parents evening (they are two and four) and they had to sit in a room, having a rubbish tea watching CBeebies). I then also missed a parents even myself.
    I just wonder how they would feel if parents/open evenings were moved to a Saturday, would they think it was fair to have to come in on their day off?
    There is also a bone of contention in relation to one of the subjects I teach. It is a brand new subject (A level) which I have set up, created SOW's, plans, resources etc, contacted exam boards, made contacts with other schools etc, attended open evening to introduce the subject to new prospective pupils, assessments the lot (which I don't mind, been hard going in addition to the other subject I teach) but have relished the oportunity, only to be told that someone how doesn't teach the subject is actually my line manager (have two now [​IMG] ) and that they are going to be HOD for this subject, despite giving me no assistance or even knowing what is going on.
    God, I sound like a right whinger!! When it's written down, it just looks like I'm moaning about nothing!
    I love having the responsibilty of the subject, having to find things out for myself etc. Not that I would expect to be a HOD in my NQT year, but to do all this work and not receive any recognition stings.
    Moan over, soon be Christmas and all that, plus it's wine night. [​IMG]

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You have been given wrong information. You don't need to request permission to be absent from the Parent's evening or any other meeting /INSET on your day off!
    The school can ask you if you are willing to attend and you can tell them whether you agrre to be there or not.
    If you agree to turn up, they have to pay you for the time (full supply hourly or daily rate, which inclused pro-rata pay for the 'holiday' element earned with the extra work time)
    You can choose to attend some sessions on your day off but not all. This might be a suitable compromise as it would mean that you can't be failed on Induction for not dealing with parents/attending training.
    The rules are there to make it clear what should happen in various scenarios. You might well have anotehr 0.2 teaching job on the other day of the week and the other school would have claim on you for day or after-school meetings. That example makes it obvious that the school not employing you on the day in question CANNOT possibly have the right to insist on your attendance at their workplace, or be in a position of being able to refuse a request from you to be exempted from attending!
    You might have another job entirely on that day or might have caring responsibilities. I once worked with a teacher who was employed Mon-Thursday (days specified in her contract). She then travelled after work on Thursday to her mother's home hundreds of miles away and was her carer until Sunday evening when her brother or sister-in-law took over again.
    If parents needed to see her, they made an appointment for after school on one of her work days.

3. If the school holds its parent consultations on a day where you are not contracted to teach then they cannot require you to attend. If you do then you should be paid overtime to attend.
    Having a line manager who is not teaching your subject does not have to present problems, it simply means that you may need to take longer to explain things if you are asking for resources or time or extra staffing for example.
    James