1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PT Modern Languages short leet interview advice please. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MissCranie, Mar 13, 2011.

1. A few weeks ago I posted a question asking if people thought I was too young to be applying for a Principal Teacher Modern Languages position. Well I bit the bullet and applied. Turns out I managed to make it through to the short leet interview on Tuesday and I am so pleased. I just want to say thank you to all of you who encouraged me and said that if I though I was ready then I should go for it.

However, I feel somewhat daunted with the prospect of this second interview as it involves a number of activities.

? A tour of the school. (I think I should be seen to interact with pupils and ask pertinent questions.)
    ? A discussion with a group of senior pupils over coffee.
    ? An in-tray exercise. (I don?t have experience of this, can anyone shed any light please?)
    ? A five minute presentation based upon ?High School X Modern Languages Department 2014? and formal interview. (This is where I get to share my vision for the future of my prospective department.)

I wondered if anyone has had experience of a similar interview structure. If so would you be able to share your experiences.

The presentation question also got me wondering what my colleagues thought their departments would look like in 2014. I feel that this is a good opportunity to share ideas and visions for taking Modern languages forward.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Miss C

2. A few weeks ago I posted a question asking if people thought I was too young to be applying for a Principal Teacher Modern Languages position. Well I bit the bullet and applied. Turns out I managed to make it through to the short leet interview on Tuesday and I am so pleased. I just want to say thank you to all of you who encouraged me and said that if I though I was ready then I should go for it.

However, I feel somewhat daunted with the prospect of this second interview as it involves a number of activities.

? A tour of the school. (I think I should be seen to interact with pupils and ask pertinent questions.)
    ? A discussion with a group of senior pupils over coffee.
    ? An in-tray exercise. (I don?t have experience of this, can anyone shed any light please?)
    ? A five minute presentation based upon ?High School X Modern Languages Department 2014? and formal interview. (This is where I get to share my vision for the future of my prospective department.)

I wondered if anyone has had experience of a similar interview structure. If so would you be able to share your experiences.

The presentation question also got me wondering what my colleagues thought their departments would look like in 2014. I feel that this is a good opportunity to share ideas and visions for taking Modern languages forward.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Miss C

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Hiya! Don't know if you've already read these:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6037988
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6038000
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/464429/6426838.aspx#6426838
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/401246/5570204.aspx#5570204
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/301321/4392029.aspx#4392029
    The first two activities don't sound much different from a normal interview. I've never done an in-tray exercise but I've read around it when I went for my interview, I think they give you a pretend list of deadlines and ask you to prioritise them - if you go on the jobseeker thread and do a search for it you'll probably get a more detailed answer. The presentation sound fairly easy - what do you want to put into place in your new school? They'll want to see you're able to give a 5 min presentation to governors without flapping and will probably be judging your presentation skills more than the actual content. I'd perhaps look at exam results etc to determine what the weaknesses of the department are are where you want it to progress to. And then the interview, which again is the same as for any job.
    Don't be too nervous and remember, to get shortlisted your application has enough strength that they want to see you in person, so stop thinking it's a fluke you're in there! Do your best, and if you feel uncomfortable by the whole process and their manner, don't be afraid of turning it down - after all, you need to be in a place that won't eat you alive and will support you, so if that doesn't come across from them in interview, then don't accept to work for them! I'd prepare a few questions for them too - in a way, you're in the best possible situation, as you don't desperately need this job and are quite happy to keep progressing at your current school, so relax!
    All the best! [​IMG]