1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PT Maths job Scotland

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by seebee86, Sep 26, 2015.

1. seebee86

seebee86 New commenter

Hi

I am in my fourth year of teaching and now thinking of moving up the way. I want to know what I can do through this year that will help me go for a PT post in the next couple of years. I am doing Masters in Education and have been proactive in my school and department in taking new initiatives but I am not sure if this is enough. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Seebee

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm not sure that a Part-time post needs anything special . . . it's just a job like any other.

To be appointable for any post, you need to meet the school's requirements. These are usually set out in the Job Description or Person Specification. I should imagine that this will include successful experience with examination courses, with proven results.

That sounds promising. For a Maths post, for example, I would be interested in a teacher who has been promoting the Maths Olympiads.

You might try looking on the TES Jobs website at schools in Scotland that are advertising suitable vacancies, and look at their Job Description or Person Specification. Do you meet their requirements? If not, what could you do this year that would ensure that you did.

Good luck.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

PT is Principal Teacher not part time. It is the equivalent of HOD in England.

OP, have you done any work for the SQA? Knowing exactly what the exam board want can give you good insight in how to lead a department to good exam results. Are there any opportunities to mentor students or probationers so that you can show you can manage and develop performance?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you!

We actually only deal with England ( and sometimes Wales) on this forum, as the systems for appointments and career progression are so different north of the border.

May I therefore suggest that the OP re-posts the query on a Scotland forum?

Good luck

Lara mfl 05 likes this.