1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Psychosis

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Lalad, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

My son has had a lot to cope with over the past few years and is currently having an acute psychotic episode. He has never suffered from anything like this in the past and was prescribed Olanzapine and Diazepam three days ago - we are going to see the psychiatrist again tomorrow.
    I am really worried about him - when we saw the psychiatrist the first time, he was shaking and irrational, thinking that people were coming to get him and so agitated he could barely remember his own name. He also told the psychiatrist that he had been having suicidal thoughts most days.
    Since then he has seemed less paranoid and slightly calmer, which may be due to the Diazepam as we were told that the Olanzapine would not really kick in for at least a week or two. However he seems very depressed and it is hard to get much out of him at all.
    Although I am trying not to pre-empt what the psychiatrist will say, I think he may have bipolar disorder like his dad..
    Just wondering if there is anyone around with experience of psychosis and the kind of medication he is on - it is all quite hard to take on board at the moment and any reassurance would be welcome.
    Lalad

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've no advice or anything useful to say but I've followed your thread about your husband and couldn't read this post without at least offering sympathy. As if life hasn't thrown enough trouble at you. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this too.
    I hope that your son responds to treatment.
    Take care of yourself; I hope you have good friends who can help and support you and your family.

3. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Thanks seren. He was just 18 when his dad's problems started to have an impact, ironically almost exactly four years ago today, Everyone has said how well he has dealt with things, but underneath it all I dont think he has been coping very well at all.
    It is difficult going in to the same psychiatric ward, and seeing familiar faces among the crisis team who are visiting him every day - it feels like going back in time, especially as some of his symptoms are so similar.
    I am very lucky to have an extremely supportive SMT and understanding teaching colleagues - they have been my lifeline over the past few years, even though I sometimes wonder how much more catastrophe in my personal life they will put up with.

4. Hi Lalad, it could be bipolar - you often get psychotic symptoms with that. People on Olanzapine have a tendency to put on weight, not because the drug actually causes you to put on weight but because it increases your appetite. Your son might want to think about trying to exercise when he's feeling a bit more like it and exercise is also known to be good for depression so it could have a double beneficial effect. CBT is used for psychosis and bipolar but I think he will need to be out of the acute phase before they try talking therapies instead of/in addition to medication.
    Take care
    Ruth

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I have no specifc advice Lalad, I just wanted to express my sympathy for what is a really difficult time for you both. I have had similar with one of my boys, but as severe depressive episodes rather than psychosis. We have been in and out of the psychiatric wards round here over the years. I've gone through periods of hiding knives, razors and drugs when he was younger....and carrying scissors when I visited him after he moved out, in case of the worst-case scenario. You MUST look after yourself, hard though it is. I nearly went under.

6. Hi Lalad, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. I have followed your threads about your husband and your parents so it seems so unfair that you have to deal with this as well. It's good news that your son is willing to take the medication though and I hope you start to see some improvement soon. My OH is currently suffering from severe depression with psychotic symptoms and it can be extremely frustrating when he believes things that simply aren't true and I feel there is no way to get through to him. Unfortunately he is completely unwilling to try medication at the moment as he believes that he isn't ill and all the symptoms he has are him being cursed :-( The mental health team have organised some CBT for him but, to be honest, I can't see that working whilst his thinking is so distorted. Anyway, keep us posted about the impact of the medication and I look forward to hearing some positive news about it.

7. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Thanks for your messages of support. It was unbelievably painful to hear my son say the things he said to the psychiatrist this afternoon, although I respect his honesty She says he is very severely depressed and she has major concerns over his safety. In the end they agreed he could come home provided someone is with him all the time and he has to start taking Fluoxetine as well - the Home Treatment team are seeing him in the morning and will monitor his condition over the next few days.
    I wish I could say I didnt know what you mean, but unfortunately I do.

8. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

It's like being on a roller coaster harper - yesterday it seemed as if things couldn't get any worse, but today he was more responsive and that has made me feel more positive. I know most of the medications take a few weeks to kick in - on the other hand he does seem less anxious so maybe they are having an effect. I remember feeling like this before and having to keep telling myself that tomorrow is another day and will be better. Thanks for asking. Lalad x

9. Have no real advice to offer. But I know a girl, who went through similar. She was having hallucinations, hearing voices, having very irrational thoughts, and her mum was very concerned she was starting to suffer from her dad's mental health condition.
    He was no longer in the family home, but had secured visitation rights through court, despite loads of evidence regarding his mental health problems, and the potential harm it was doing the children.
    I think she would have been a bit younger than your son.
    However when seen by GP, he said that apparent "psychotic" episode was a manifestation of the anxiety and pressure she had been under, and with treatment and someone to talk to, it did resolve.
    She has been able to get on with her life and is a pharmacist, and even though she is under a lot of pressure at work at times, these issues have never arisen again for her.
    I hope your son also has a good recovery.

10. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Thanks doglover - that's exactly the kind of thing I need to hear. We managed to get him out for a walk in the sunshine today and he is resting now but he's doing so well - you can see how hard he is trying. Apparently there was a "traumatic incident" on the ward yesterday just before he saw the psychiatrist, so I am very thankful she didn't want to admit him.

11. Lalad,
    Just thought I'd write as we were in a similar position with someone in the family suffering the same type of depression and psychosis about two years ago now, it was really bad and at times I wondered if she would ever get better. I think the problem with treating mental illness is there are so many variables, so many diff types of drugs and different dosages that it can take a while to find the right treatment for the person. And don't be disheartened by relapses, i remember someone telling me that recovery doesn't just work in a linear way, think it's more like ups and downs but they will get there in the end. Just remember that your son obviously has a good support system, with you and your family there for him, and that is one of the most important things. Take care

12. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

I'm very conscious of this, and of the fact that what appears to be improvement may well just be the effects of the medication. He does seem to be improving quite rapidly at the moment but I feel quite wary of reading too much into his improved mood. That sounds awful, but previous experience of his dad's illness means I don't want to presume anything. We are seeing the psychiatrist again tomorrow so at least I can ask her a few questions about what is going on.

13. lalad I remember your posts when your husband became ill and I just wanted to send you a hug

(((((((Lalad))))))))

14. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

lalad - I have no experience of what you are going through (and have been through). My family has various addiction problems and I send you good wishes.

15. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

Sorry - I didn't mean it to sound like it did. Just that we have problems too.

16. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Marshall I'm sorry you are having a rough time at the moment. I think the problem with this kind of thing is that it is a steep learning curve for all concerned, and even when you think you know what you're up against, it's never easy x
    Thank you for the hug Ohat, I remember you (and Matty and Badteacher!) from my earlier posts! You'll probably think this is silly but I'm worried that he is recovering too quickly - the psychiatrist has stopped the Diazepam so he is now on Olanzapine and Prozac, but she has increased the Prozac. I said that I was concerned that because his mood had improved so rapidly, and bearing in mind his dad's bipolar condition, increasing the Prozac might trigger a high. She actually seemed to agree with me but said it would be a question of being alert to that possibility rather than assuming it would happen so she has still increased it. I'm pleased that he has managed to stop the Diazepam without any adverse effects though x

17. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Lalad - Despite not being hugely eloquent, I ususally manage to get my point across. However, on this occassion I am lost for words. It seems to be one thing after another for you. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. xx

18. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Thanks domton - he is down again today, which I half expected. I do appreciate your thoughts and prayers x

19. pixel

pixel New commenter

I cannot read and run Lalad. I do hope the medicine stablises your son and he can get on an even keen. From my experience I see young adults in trouble, but with a bit of time and the enormous love you have I'm sure you'll be pulling through soon.

20. So sorry you are now having to deal with more heartache.
    My very best hopes are with you and your family.