1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

psychology study in the 1960's

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by angiebabe, Mar 2, 2011.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Does anyone recall the study that was carried out - I think in the l960s - to do with factory
    workers? I remember it was about productivity increasing because the workers had been asked their views about working conditions. There was also a study where the factory lights with improved and productivity increased because the workers had been listened too, but then the lights were gradually put back to the way they originally were but the productivity did not drop.
    Really would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Does anyone recall the study that was carried out - I think in the l960s - to do with factory
    workers? I remember it was about productivity increasing because the workers had been asked their views about working conditions. There was also a study where the factory lights with improved and productivity increased because the workers had been listened too, but then the lights were gradually put back to the way they originally were but the productivity did not drop.
    Really would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.

3. I think the study you're referring to is the study of workers at the Hawthorne Factory and the effect became known as the Hawthorne effect. The study was reported by Roethlisberger and Dickson (1939). Look the effect up on wikipedia.