1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

psychology qualifications

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by manda82, May 1, 2012.

1. I am an OTT English teacher from Australia, however I have also completed an honours degree in psychology and was working in hopitals as a provisonal psychologist in Australia. I have also taught learning support and been a behaviour teacher as well. Ideally, I would love to combine my love for mental health with my teaching skills and so thought teaching psychology would be the way to go for me. However, I am aware that to be a psychologist here you need to have you completed your PHD and so I am wondering what the requirement is for teaching psychology and whether I meet it.

2. I am an OTT English teacher from Australia, however I have also completed an honours degree in psychology and was working in hopitals as a provisonal psychologist in Australia. I have also taught learning support and been a behaviour teacher as well. Ideally, I would love to combine my love for mental health with my teaching skills and so thought teaching psychology would be the way to go for me. However, I am aware that to be a psychologist here you need to have you completed your PHD and so I am wondering what the requirement is for teaching psychology and whether I meet it.

3. Hi
    If you are interested in teaching psychology at secondary level in England you will need to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). If you are a fully qualified teacher in Australia you may be eligible to apply for QTS without having to complete any additional training. This status can allow you access to teaching at primary, secondary, and further education levels. For more information please visit the following page of the Department for Education website:
    www.education.gov.uk/a00205926/australia-canada-nz-usa
    Psychology is not widely taught at secondary level so you may be more interested in teaching in colleges and universities. If this is the case you can visit the Lifelong Learning UK website for further information:
    www.lluk.org
    Whichever age-range you choose to teach I wish you the very best in your future career.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency