1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Psychology PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by katierolfe1, Jul 2, 2020.

1. katierolfe1

katierolfe1 New commenter

Hello all,
    I am looking to teach Psychology at secondary level in the future after completing an undergraduate (BSc) in Psychology, but I have found that many of the PGCE courses for Social Sciences require a GCSE and/or A Level in Sociology (which I do not have) as placements will most likely require you to teach both Psychology and Sociology at GCSE level.
    I was wondering whether anyone knows if it would be possible to complete a Social Sciences PGCE (preferably at Canterbury Christchurch) without these Sociology qualifications?

2. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

The two usually go together. There won't be many schools offering sociology and psychology at GCSE. If you can demonstrate that your degree included a considerable sociology component then that might be one way in. I've been involved in teacher training for years and to be honest I'd be looking at the quality of individual candidates and their capacity for development as opposed to what they have or haven't studied at A Level. A lot of secondary teachers doing A Level psychology come in by another route such as teaching history and RMPS, in my case, and a citizenship PGCE down in at the University of Cumbria some years ago was another pathway in but that's long gone. Are these other ways in suitable for you as a back up plan?

katierolfe1 likes this.
  3. katierolfe1

katierolfe1 New commenter