1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Psychology AQA AS course

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by sputner, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm preparing to teach the AQA Pasychology AS course for the first time in September and wonder if anyone has any texts that they would recommend?
    Any ideas gratefully received.

2. ela86

ela86 New commenter

Hi there!
    I started teaching the AQA (A) AS course this september for the first time too, the exams are next week!
    My advice is to look through the specification and brush up on any areas you are unsure of or not so familiar with to give you back-ground on everything you will cover. You could just read through the AS text-book that will be used at your school and then take your reading from there to expand on what you feel isn't covered that well in the textbook.
    In addition, make sure you are up to date with research methods (RM), I hadn't used this material in 3 yrs prior to september when I began the course and found that I couldn't remember a lot of things; in addition, I found it a little difficult to teach it to students who hadn't done psychology before as our students do not do the GCSE. The more confident you are the easier it will be for you to teach them all about RM.
    On the AQA webstie you can also get copies of past papers and mark schemes so you have an idea of what you are working towards and the kind of questions they should be able to answer at the end of each topic.
    Let me know whether I can help you out with anything else, I was in your position last year and know exactly how you feel!

Good luck!

3. Text book wise : Cardwell Flanagan (or the cat book as it is commonly known) is good for getting to grips with the spec. Well laid out in sections and clearly aimed at the exam board. Nelson Throne (the eye book) is good for depth of knowledge.

4. Good luck. We use the Lawton, Gross and Rolls text (students choice) good links for further research; alongside Nelson Thornes and the Eysenck books for wider reading. Psychexchange have been great, not sure about the new set up though, to be honest. You don't mention whether it is the AQA A or B spec.