1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Psychology AQA (A) what textbooks would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by morgann, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am swapping to Psychology AQA (A) in September and wanted to know what textbooks those of you who are already teaching this would recommend? The students I teach are generally predicted C/D grade at A-Level so I need a book appropriate to them. All advise and feedback would be welcomed.

Many thanks,

Naomi

2. Hi all,
    I am swapping to Psychology AQA (A) in September and wanted to know what textbooks those of you who are already teaching this would recommend? The students I teach are generally predicted C/D grade at A-Level so I need a book appropriate to them. All advise and feedback would be welcomed.

Many thanks,

Naomi

3. ela86

ela86 New commenter

Hi!
    We use the AQA textbook, although it is hard to understand at times. However, we have our own booklets for each topic which basically simplify what the book says.
    The advantage of using the AQA book is that they give u good exam hints and all relevant information can be found in the book. However, it is hard to follow as students are given too much information, much more than they'll need for the exam, even to get an A. Perhaps though you could use the books as guidelines but work together in the department to produce notes from the book for the students?

Anyway gd luck!

4. NOT the Folens new one. My lot found it vaguely incomprehensible.
    Their teachers companion is OK - though I seem to have 2 identical ones with different names. I hope we didn't pay for both!
    I'm hoping that the new little cat book by Folens is still as good as it used to be! I think we will just use that from now on as I don't like the Nelson Thorne one as it does not follow the spec - it still has old spec info in it which is not applicable to the new exam!! Very confusing!

5. I also hate the NT books with a passion, although my A2 students find them quite helpful and to be fair, the A2 one has some up to date studies in it which are helpful (so I have private copies of NT)!
    I'm using the Cardwell AS and A2 books, but am thinking of switching to the Eyseck A2 next year, as it seems to be clearer and more comprehensive than the A2 Cardwell. I also use my own handouts etc.
    My suggestion is that you get some evaluation copies of as many different books as possible and choose the one that you and your students are most happy with and refer to more than one textbook, website etc in your resources and worksheets.
    Hope this helps!

6. Eysenck not Eyseck

7. mjn

mjn

I agree get evaluation copies and see which would suit you best as they do vary. I do have a copy of the NT book more as a security blanket to check that I have incorporated the best bits into my SOW but wouldn't use it with students as a main text. I did use it the first year of the spec change and they found it hard to be selective in what they would learn for the exam. The Student Book by Holt and Lewis might well be the best bet for the ability you describe and it has a study guide, as well so I would definitely get a sample of those. Enjoy!