1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PST has told me not to use any resources but to make everything from scratch

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pumpkinpilot, May 6, 2011.

1. I have just had my first weekly development meeting with my PST on my second placements she said something that really surprised me.
    Firstly I would like to say that I take pride in the fact that I am very creative and although I have used many on-line resources always spend time (in fact probably too much time) tailoring and adapting resources to fit my class.
    Anyway she stated that using resources form the Internet is frowned upon in Devon in particular and that even using resources from books is not a good idea. She went as far as to say that people from the LEA's biggest wish was if they could get rid of all the internet stuff. She also mentioned that there was no on line stuff when she started out.
    I was completely taken aback by this as throughout my training so far I have been encouraged by my university and my last placement to "magpie" resources and guided to not reinvent the wheel.
    For my first 3 weeks she asked me to devise a cross curricula plan based on a piece of literature and I have done so and it is going really well but I found it very difficult and to do this without using any on line resources I think would be even harder. With 7 more weeks of planning to go I am slightly concerned that not being able to adapt any resources will make my life really difficult.
    What do you guys think? Is it wrong to use ready made resources if you adapt them properly and they are relevant? Is this a reasonable stance she is taking?