1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSRN parent workshop

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by choralsongster, Mar 5, 2011.

1. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

2. choralsongster

3. Hi, I have just looked through both of your powerpoints. The Letters and Sounds one was great, simple and to the point. I found the PSRN one a little wordy for parents but that could be just that I am used to simplyfying things for the parents at our school. Your parents may find that PP very useful.

Are you going to demonstrate some of the ideas they could use at home? Sometimes death by powerpoint can put parents off!

Good luck, sure it will be fine! x

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Hi there
    When we did workshops with parents, we used to bring the into the classroom, lay out various activities linked t the theme, and get them to try them out with their children. This gave them hands on experience,and was easier for them to see what they could do at home. We had a list by each activity saying what children would be learning by doing it, and talk this through too.
    It was always hectic having so many extra bodies in the classroom, but they went down well, and the adult and children got a lot ut of doing them.
    I dont know if that is possible, or if you can do your talking bit and then go hands on!

5. choralsongster

Thanks, but we only have half an hour for these things, and most of the parents just want the info. I will be modelling some strategies, such as counting on etc and showing some of the resources we use, to break it up xx

6. hurny

hurny New commenter

I did a workshop a couple of weeks ago. I showed a shop game (adding up prices) a board game (adding 2 dice), some numicon and some small world number rhymes. I also produced a leaflet for parents detailing what we do in class and what they could do at home to help with calculating skills. It was quite successful and lots of parents turned up (surprisingly!)