1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSRN observation Monday! Would appreciate your advice

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by soulsista, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hi all
    As above i have a PSRN observation with my rec class on Monday. I will be focussing on weight and using the terms, heavy/light, heavier/lighter/ and heaviest/lightest. It will be our first session looking at this.
    In all honesty my confidence in my teaching is pretty much through the floor at the minute and i would just wanted to run some of my ideas past you so that i dont spend the weekend panicking about it!
    Here goes....
    So whole carpet input with my "shopping bag" Talk about the fact it is heavy beacuse it has lots of things in it. Look at shopping items talk about heavy/ light etc.
    Then onto activities....
    Teacher Led- continue to investigate shopping with groups reinforcing language etc. Also using balances to visually reinforce ideas of heavy and light.
    post office role play- chidlren to investigate a range of parcels and sorting into heavy and light
    sand (TA led) - filling socks of different sizes with sand comparing heavy and light
    IWB/ PC - i have games where you drag and drop the animals/fruit onto the balances to find out if they are heavy or light
    Water- boats and cubes-put the cubes in the boat until it sinks. How many cubes will your boat hold.
    Balances and basket of objects for free investigation
    Challenge table. Can you find something lighter than a tin of beans? Chidlren to find classroom objects and put on table (put a sticky label with their name on object-review at end of session)
    Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas they could share or any thoughts.
    Thanks in advance
    Soulsista

2. Hi all
    As above i have a PSRN observation with my rec class on Monday. I will be focussing on weight and using the terms, heavy/light, heavier/lighter/ and heaviest/lightest. It will be our first session looking at this.
    In all honesty my confidence in my teaching is pretty much through the floor at the minute and i would just wanted to run some of my ideas past you so that i dont spend the weekend panicking about it!
    Here goes....
    So whole carpet input with my "shopping bag" Talk about the fact it is heavy beacuse it has lots of things in it. Look at shopping items talk about heavy/ light etc.
    Then onto activities....
    Teacher Led- continue to investigate shopping with groups reinforcing language etc. Also using balances to visually reinforce ideas of heavy and light.
    post office role play- chidlren to investigate a range of parcels and sorting into heavy and light
    sand (TA led) - filling socks of different sizes with sand comparing heavy and light
    IWB/ PC - i have games where you drag and drop the animals/fruit onto the balances to find out if they are heavy or light
    Water- boats and cubes-put the cubes in the boat until it sinks. How many cubes will your boat hold.
    Balances and basket of objects for free investigation
    Challenge table. Can you find something lighter than a tin of beans? Chidlren to find classroom objects and put on table (put a sticky label with their name on object-review at end of session)
    Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas they could share or any thoughts.
    Thanks in advance
    Soulsista

3. Just off the top of my head; dough area with scales, investigation trays weighing out ingredients, what about bathroom scales for the children to weigh themselves but maybe not compare their weights!!! Outside have you any of those balance things which rock?
    Sounds like a great session

4. There are some lovely ideas in your plan. I have a little quibble about whether children left to work independently will work to the objectives. Do you always have such a structured session, without any child-initiated play? When would you explain the different activities to the children? I've never had much success 'setting' a variety of different tasks, but your children might be OK with it. I would be more inclined to have a focus activity based on weight, and opportunities to compare weights provided in the continuous provision with the TA supporting this and anything else children are doing. Heavy and light have to be experienced first hand in order to be understood, so make sure children have opportunities to compare weights practically in your carpet introduction. Good luck.

5. Hello,
    I see you have found an IWB game for useiing rocker scales with animals and fruit, I just wondered if you could tell me what website that was from.
    Thankyou

6. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I remember introducing this topic in reception with a helium balloon ... gets them thinking about why it rises ... once you have established that it is 'light', then we added cubes one by one to see how many cubes we needed to make the string heavy enough to keep it down. The kids loved it. Just an idea.

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I agree with thumbie, heaviness and lightness need to be f'elt' so can you build into your play some genuinely hevay items (logs are good for this). Also its good to have some small heavy items eg stones so that children dont relate 'heavy' to 'big' and conversely, big but light things.

Good luck with your lesson

8. Hi S, lots of great ideas to use. It will help if you are able to get children to explain what heavy/light means ie is it easy to pick up? Or see what they say to gauge where you phase in. If you are able to hang buckets on elastic that can help develop the concept of balance/heavier/lighter. Large buckets and pulleys outside are fun ways of exploring weight too. Physically using hands as scales too to show they know difference between heavy and light at the end of the session. Hope all goes well for you