1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSRN 30-50 calculating please explain? Plus some 30-50 number

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by AthenaMarina, May 22, 2011.

1. AthenaMarina

AthenaMarina New commenter

How do you assess these:
    Separate a group of three or four objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the total is still the same.

Compare two groups of objects, saying when they have the same number.
    Count actions or objects that cannot be moved.

(Does that mean for e.g. they count the steps outside?)

Match then compare the number of objects in two sets.

Count an irregular arrangement of up to ten objects.

Please, idiot-proof these for me in plain English, what activities, vocab etc. you'd use & what they kids would say to let you know they'd met these

2. AthenaMarina

BUMP! Please help me de-code this!

3. <u>Separate a group of objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the total is still the same. </u>Game of hide and seek with 4 teddies, 2 in one place, 2 in another (and other combinations), when you've found 2 how many more do we need to look for, get children to hide them (in 2 places but with different combinations).
    <u>Compare two groups of objects saying when they have the same number.</u> Give pretend sweets to 2 teddies, different amounts to each. Is it fair? Why not? What shall we do to make it fair? Is that fair now (redistribute)? Why?
    <u>Count actions or objects that cannot be moved.</u> Yes, the steps or anything else that is permanently fixed - the idea being that it is more challenging than counting objects which you can move as you count.
    <u>Match then compare the number of objects in 2 sets</u>. Have caterpillars made by drawing round circles, compare for length, matching faces next to each other, count circles, talk about the whys and wherefores.
    <u>Count an irregular arrangement of up to 10 objects</u> ie not placed in a line but scattered.

4. I have to say AthenaMarina I'm a bit suspicious that you (who presumably have a degree) find it difficult to 'de-code' these statements. I can't see anything that obscure about them. Or maybe you just want to pick our brains for ideas because you're feeling a bit uninspired. No harm in saying that, you know. [​IMG]

5. AthenaMarina

My degree firstly is NOT from the UK and we had Stepping Stones after I did QTS.
    So I was trained in a VERY different curriculum from another country, then the Stepping Stones which I found a LOT easier. I have never EVER been given any kind of training on these Development Matters as in what are e.gs of them. I looked at the book but I didn't find them helpful.
    On one had you have me feeling even MORE stupid now ha ha but on the whole I really really REALLY appreciate your examples and now I understand what to do.
    I wish YOU had written the book for these Development Matters, then people WOULD understand them. Cos you've done a GREAT job of explaining these to me!

Nobody in the Nursery or even Reception in my school understands what some of these mean.
    Maybe I'm just a really **** teacher hmm?

6. AthenaMarina

P.S. I ASKED for training like going on a course for these.
    Never got it though.
    Our then coordinator only read about "enabling environments etc" read out them and gave us the booklet and that was it!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We were also trained on a very different curriculum AthenaMarina
    I would add that Count actions or objects that cannot be moved could also be things like clapping or jumping/hoping/skipping bangs on a drum ...

8. AthenaMarina

Well maybe I'm just too stupid to be a teacher ha ha. I am leaving anyway at the end of this school year. But I want to go out on a high and with a great reference.
    My confidence has already been shot to h@ll this school year so I'm looking for support not judgement.
    I really appreciate the ideas given here so very much and thank you very much for these. I will be using them from tomorrow.

9. I certainly didn't want you to feel like that! I just thought you could probably work these out for yourself if you didn't think (you're not the only one by any means) that they mean something big when they mean something small that we all already know! You are the qualified and employed person that has to use these - so be confident and link them to those very uncomplicated beings you work with. Why would you need training? Just to find out the official line, that's all, and there are lots of official lines out there, some of them contradictory. You're better off without them.