1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSRN - 2D shapes

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pcworld, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Hi im teaching 2D shapes next week with my reception group but i dont actually know what vocabulary they need to learn.
    im thinking that i will begin the week by asking them to name shapes when i hold them up.
    then get them to talk about the properties of the shape e.g. corners, sides etc
    do you think this will be ok?
    im going to take them into the playground towards the end of the week and see what shapes they can see then play shape loop game with the loop cards

paula

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We taught 2d shapes last half-term (we're moving onto 3d shapes this term).
    We introduced a different shape each week. We began by looking at the shape, seeing if anybody could name it, describing the shape eg by counting the number of sides and corners or by saying what everyday objects it reminded us of. We also used the songs from "Tommy Thumb" as a way of practising the names of the shapes.
    We then had follow up activities for each shape. Some of these were the same every week eg I put shape mats onto the playdough table to see if the children could make that week's shape. Other activities varied each week. The ones I can remember off the top of my head are:
    • circle collage (black sugar paper circle, small circles on coloured paper to cut out and stick onto the black circle)
    • making caterpillars out of circles
    • printing with objects that had at least one square face (I was going to say "printing with squares", but although that was the effect, we didn't actually use squares)
    • trying to make triangles out of 3 strips of paper
    • making squares, oblongs and triangles using elastic bands and geoboards
    • making squares and oblongs with pegs and pegboards
    Once we had spent 4 weeks teaching about different shapes, the following weeks we had activities to revise all 4 shapes. Eg:
    • feely bags and feely boxes
    • making shape pictures with the tap tap (and talking about the shapes that we'd used)
    • making firework shape pictures (paper collage)
    • sorting shapes
    • making pictures with magnetic shapes
    Hope this helps