1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Psoriasis and Garra Rufa fish

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Jul 22, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Now I am being persuaded to give this ago over the next week or two so I might be able to wear shorts over the (3 days of) summer.

Has anyone given this ago and did you notice any improvement?
    [​IMG]

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Given the sort of clientele this appeals to, who on earth would take the risk?

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Some Councils have banned them because of the dangers of viruses and bacteria being transferred between the various users.
    As psoraisis involves broken and sore skin, I'd be extremely wary. Seek your doctor's advise. It may be that there are specific medical practioners with Garra Rufa fish who operate in a more strile way.
    There would be no advantage to getting relief from your skin condition only to discover that you'd picked up an HIV infection or Hepatitis C.

4. I don't think you're allowed to use the general spa ones if you have any kind of medical condition.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

One of my friends has bad psoriasis and regularly gets her fishy treatment - the trouble is that it is only her feet and ankles she gets done so it's not much use for shorts.
    You'll have to decide how you feel about the various ethical issues.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I went in and had a chat with the lass who owns the shop, she seems to have a few people with psoriasis using the place. They have deep tanks so would be able to get most of my lower leg into the tank to allow the fish to 'eat me'.

Still not sure whether to go ahead or not, will have a think.

7. What's stopping you? I admit my concerns would be about hygiene and fish welfare but if I trusted the place and had a reason for trying it, I think I probably would. If it works you could always get your own tank...

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I have joked a few times about swapping my tropical fish tank over to a Gara Rufa fish, let them lose in the bath when i have one .....

9. *shudders*

10. I think you'll find that you need the fish to do their thing more than twice a year.

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

twice? I isn't the queen with 2 birthdays.

12. Do you see a dermatologist? I'd be cautious about using these fish to help psoriasis.

I use an ointment called tacrilimus on mine and its great, and my dermatologist advises me to expose it to the sun, my psoriasis improves so much in the summer!

13. In Turkey, these fish are known as 'doctor fish' and are used to control psoriasis and eczema but they can't cure it. I have had a couple of fish pedicures, and they were good, but I did wonder what would happen if they had too many feet to nibble and got fed up with dry skin. Many years ago, a young colleague with psoriasis was prescribed treatment with sun lamp. She used to go to the hospital regularly, her skin condition cleared up and she always looked as if she had just been on holiday to the Med .

14. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Historically they have been used for skin conditions, apparently with good effect, however there have been various reports of problems and some places have banned the salons.
    As has been said, it wont cure the problem, it will remove some of the dry skin with regular treatments.
    Apparantly, according to the owner/manager of the local salon....
    "they are more effective on a Monday as they have a day off on Sunday (we're closed) so are hungrier... by Saturday they are more sluggish"
    I know people who go and like it... I wont take the risk of possible infection..
    My pumice works fine.
    :eek:)

15. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Oh and be sure it is the Garra Rufu fish..there is another that is used bit it is less effective.

16. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

yep under the care of a dermatologist and have been for 5 years now.
    apparently its something to do with the natural water these fish live in, higher temp than normal so makes the fish need what ever salt they find in the dead skin.

lol cant really use a pumice stone on my legs tho

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

18. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

In the salon here they 'clean' users feet using a 'salt' rub' .....

19. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

that article simply says that i if the fish are treated well it isn't a problem, ie large pools, feet washed of chemical etc etc.

As a fish keeper i would like to think i could tell if their fish were being mistreated and kept in a poor condition

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

They eat skin because they are kept hungry.
    Rubbing salt into feet doesn't get round the issue of being exposed to bacteria and viruses in the water. Salmonella, hepatitis and TB can be transfered this way