1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSHE

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by woodlands01, Jul 8, 2015.

1. woodlands01

woodlands01 New commenter

As part of our PSHE program we have students involved in a 'community' day next Friday. Today the organisor interrupted my lesson and forced me to make a decision about what I wanted to be involved in, while I was teaching. They then told me I would be given a group of students, be responsible for them all day, plan the whole day including taking them out into the community and do a risk assessment.

After the event I have re-thought and become all cross. (I was cross at the time but was civil in front of my class) . I feel it is too late to plan this properly. I have to decide what to do, contact the place we will be visiting to arrange details, organise resources and activities for a list of students I don't have and do a risk assessment which I've never done.

I don't want to plan anything until I have the list of students, I would prefer to have another member of staff with me in case of emergencies (accident or bad behaviour) and I feel I can't do the risk assessment (If I can work out what that means) until everything is planned.

I am being over precious about this? I have emailed my concerns and had a snotty email back (head teacher copied in).

I know I am stressed as I still have a full timetable - little gained time due to shortage of teachers in subject and there is also staff absence therefore organising cover is a nightmare at the end of term when students are becoming dis-engaged - so am willing to accept I am being unreasonable.

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Let me guess, the organiser is a non teacher pastoral type or SLT.

No, your lesson should not be interrupted for this sort of thing. If it will involve significant work, the head should put directed time in lieu of normal dept/pastoral meeting for it.

And you really need to know which kids you are taking before you take them somewhere - you don't want the worst naughties with you.

You are not being unreasonable at all!

If there is anyone who will listen, I would complain. I wouldn't rule out the union either for this treatment!

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

What was the Head's response?

It sounds like this person has messed up and has passed the buck to you. I'd just refuse on the grounds of health and safety blah blah.

4. woodlands01

Thank you for replies, glad you both think I am sane!

Person is a pastoral and has messed up big time. Head doesn't get involved when I get cross as they know I argue reasonably well.

I really don't mind this type of activity - I just don't want to be lumbered with it a week in advance. I have asked where the (directed) time is allocated in the reply to the 'I don't want to cause you extra work' comment.

Not sure what I will do next - I've replied to e-mail detailing my concerns and said I am happy to discuss tomorrow but they can come and find me I think!

Hoping other staff will be complaining and not just moaning that they think its rubbish.

I only have 9 working days left here thank goodness......................not that I'm counting.

5. azzie

azzie New commenter

Apart from anything else, you have no time to do a proper risk assesment, let alone plan and organise support. Too short a notice and not a reasonable request, but like all of us teachers sometiimes we do things because we don't want to let the children down. Hope it works out ok for you.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Logistically, a week in advance when you are also teaching is not long enough to plan and carry out a trip.

Why the pastoral person cannot do the planning of a trip is beyond me.

Tbh in might be worth saying that you are willing to stay behind and do whatever activity with them, but you are not prepared to go out to do it.

If you give us a topic I may have a few lesson plans etc. that I have saved from when i have done PSHE?

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Go sick on the Community Day.... After all the stress these jokers have caused you would cause many people to suffer migraine type headaches or worse!

8. woodlands01

Cancelled! Thank you for the offer DYNAMO67 - I'll wait to see the revised plan for the day.

Thanks mostly for the vote of confidence in my opinion - why are we often made to feel unreasonable and awkward?

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'I only have 9 working days left here thank goodness......................not that I'm counting.'

You never told us that in the original post! In that case, do the BARE minimum from now until the end!

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Crikey, if you're leaving start winding down! The Head sounds as soft as putty.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Unless it's done as part of a "themed" day and there are people there who know something about which they speak, PSHE in all it's forms is a total waste of everyone's time