1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSHE - what are you teaching in your school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cate_tully, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hi, I was wondering if you could let me know what sort of PSHE is being taught in your school? I have been appointed role of PSHE coordinator and have been asked to create a programme for my school (KS1 and KS2). I also have sole responsibility for School Council.

After researching PSHE, I still don't have any hard evidence of what teachers should be teaching. I understand there are the end of keystage statements/guidelines and that the goverment are reviewing PSHE at the moment, but I just want to have an idea of what other schools are doing to ensure that they are teaching PSHE.

Does anyone still use the SEAL resources?

Please help. I would be grateful of any feedback!
    Thankyou! Cate

2. Hi, I was wondering if you could let me know what sort of PSHE is being taught in your school? I have been appointed role of PSHE coordinator and have been asked to create a programme for my school (KS1 and KS2). I also have sole responsibility for School Council.

After researching PSHE, I still don't have any hard evidence of what teachers should be teaching. I understand there are the end of keystage statements/guidelines and that the goverment are reviewing PSHE at the moment, but I just want to have an idea of what other schools are doing to ensure that they are teaching PSHE.

Does anyone still use the SEAL resources?

Please help. I would be grateful of any feedback!
    Thankyou! Cate

3. We use a scheme of work from the county which is largely based on the SEAL material.

4. I also start this role in September. PSHE has been in our school for a few years now so there are a lot of resources but not clear objectives and outcomes for each theme. I have started to revamp this (taking a long time) and have also used county material which has been great!
    What I am struggling with is the assessment of it all. We are expected to record our KS3 using NC levels! Ridiculous as there are none! I am therefore working on using the end of Key Stage Statements and Blooms to do this. I will only complete the first unit for each topic for each year group and see how it comes across.

If anyone has any better ideas in terms of NC levels for PSHE then please let me know. Perhaps we should encourage someone to do this for the pupils learning.
    At Key Stage 4 we are going to teach the AQA QCF Award and Certificate in Personal and Social Education 5800. This is so much easier to embed as all the objectives are clearly given for each unit. I have started to created pupil friendly assessment units. Once done I shall upload them on TES.

5. We use the SEAL scheme and do a term on each of the themes - seems to work well and we have been doing it for a few years now.
    Also helpful for assemblies - our head often uses the ones from the relevant SEAL theme so that it links with what we are doing.
    We also have an assembly at the end of each term where each class does something based on the work they have done.

6. We follow SEALs too - one theme a term and we roll it over two years. Its up to each teacher how they cover it - some do a week or two of afternoons of it at the beginning of a term, other's do a session a week of it for the entire time.

7. We use Chris Quigley "the 5 Rs" as a basis for a layered look at SEAL/PSHE activities. It's from his thinking skills curriculum and focus on different areas of PSHE, e.g. Responsibilities, resilience etc.