1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSHE for Lower 6th Form

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by lindamarieh, Jul 21, 2016.

1. lindamarieh

lindamarieh New commenter

I am mainly teacher of English, but have been asked to teach some PSHE this upcoming academic year. I have been given the topic of relationships - but no resources. These lessons will all be with lower 6th, and I am a little unsure where to start. Does anyone have any advice, or resources they could point me in the direction of that won't be too patronising for this age group? I have noticed there are a few available to buy, and I am certainly happy to pay, but don't want to start spending money on resources that will be far too basic and un-adaptable for 16+!

Thanks in advance.

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Newspapers and magazines? I have never taught PSHE but surely stories about sexting and online abuse would be appropriate. Also online safety. They may have a giggle about elderly widows who have met young handsome men online and then been conned out of their life savings.
    University prospectuses - I am concerned that many young people in their first week away from home are encouraged to get legless with a crowd of complete strangers.
    I am not sure if financial management comes under PSHE - but it should do. Basically anything that prepares students for life beyond school. I teach lots of vocational students who hope to run their own businesses one day. Their main complaint is that their courses do not teach them things like income tax and national insurance, pensions etc.
    If it is within the scope of the course I would allow the lessons to be student led, these are always the best lessons.