1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSHE Co-ordinator question

Discussion in 'Independent' started by DashyB, Apr 21, 2020.

1. DashyB

DashyB New commenter

For those of you who carry out the PSHE Co-ordinator role in an independent school, do you get a timetable allowance for it?

I receive £1500 a year for the role, put together the Scheme of Work for KS3 and KS4 and prep the individual lessons for each year group on a weekly basis. KS5 is under the control of Head of Sixth form.

I have quickly figured out that my predecessor used the same lessons across year groups, so although I can re-use some of the material, I am creating an awful lot of resources myself and it has been incredibly time consuming. I really enjoy the role, but I am struggling with the workload.

Senior management does not believe the role requires planning time, so I have no reduction in my timetable for the role.

Is this the norm in independent schools?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When I took over the role, admittedly in prep but nursery to year 6 (8 year groups), I got no money and no time.
    I had to
    source a scheme to use, decided making our own was better so did that instead
    set up some kind of monitoring for the classes I wasn't teaching
    sort out clear and effective age appropriate RSE work for all groups and parent information leaflets
    set up organise and evaluate questionnaires about wellbeing, PSHE, bullying; etc
    And a whole heap more.

Workload was appalling, but I loved the role and am passionate about it, so did the job and did it well, but some extra time would have been lovely.

Ro13 likes this.