1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PSHE and Citizenship in Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by swampyjo, Jun 20, 2012.

1. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

In another tick box exercise, I have been asked to demonstrate where in the curriculum we teach aspects of PSHE. Our main texts teacher resources are sadly lacking a document to make this a simple task. Has anyone got any ideas on where I should start?

TBO I have virtuallly no idea WHAT they do in PSHE other than sex and drugs and rock n' roll other than a bit of the obvious financial stuff. So, I can start by listing topics;
    Percentages - financial
    Probability - risk
    Ratio - value for money
    Data handling - pulling apart statistical arguments
    ..... a bit lost now.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

What salary do you need to earn to make working worthwhile, as opposed to getting benefits? What salary would you need to earn to have a "living" wage?
    What does it mean when a party has won the "majority" of the vote? How many people have actually voted for it, as a proportion of the electorate and as a raw figure?
    With councils, what is meant by a quorum? How many people are required to get a resolution passed and made into council policy? How difficult would it be for a minority party to organise people ( in terms of numbers ) to get one of their members elected? This could then lead into discussions of gerrymandering.
    Bankers pay and bonuses are in the news. How can one get hold of company reports and look at what actual pay is in companies such as RBS? What are the different pay structures? One can look at pay differentials across gender and racial lines. If this information is not given, why is it not given.
    That is all I can think of at the moment, but there are many other routes in.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Awareness of the world is in there. I can't remember where they are from but I have some sheets about how teenagers in different countries spend their day. Classes can then do a pie chart of the different activites and do some comparing.
    PM me and I can e-mail them to you if you want them.

4. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

Thanks Karvol,

I was thinking more along the line of curricul mapping. So which maths topics might have something to do with PSHE. I do however like the ideas and their 'functional' element.
    (Am trying to tick the box with the least amount of work!)

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Nat West (and other banks?) offer an in school visit service.
    perhaps there is some info linked to the nat curr on their website. Maybe you have some bumpf from them lurking in the department office/store, from memory it was all cross referenced to the N.C.

6. Some sort of calorie counting exercise/ balanced diet might tick a few boxes.

7. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

8. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

Thanks for the ideas. The Amnesty International book sounds great.