1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

PRS and PPL licenses

Discussion in 'Music' started by swotboy, Apr 26, 2011.

  1. swotboy

    swotboy New commenter

    Hi all,
    Have just been handed 2 £350 bills for PPL and PRS music copyright licenses. Am not sure why these have come directly to the music department, could be to do with our new academy status and the fact that we can't use our LEA's licencse??? Anyway, have heard that if the school has a film viewing licence through the DFE then music comes under this. Anybody know any better? All seems a bit vague!
    Thanks in advance
  2. silverfern

    silverfern New commenter

    It seems a bit unfair that the music dpt should have to pay for a PPL licence, as this covers music, radio and television played by anyone in the school. eg. the head listening to the radio in their office, the english department listening to rap songs as part of a poetry unit, etc.
    The PRS is more 'music dpt'-specific, ie. concerts.
    Not sure about the film-viewing licence (PVSL?), apart from the fact that I think it is a separate licence.
  3. brookey1970

    brookey1970 New commenter

    Agree with above comments, though I would also argue that concerts bring about whole-school opportunities and benefits. If management don't want the publicity and PR, the 'wider' developments in the children (self esteem, teamwork, you know the rest), then tell them you're happy to let some other dept do all the grafting for a change... and pick up the tab. If you're being asked to (or if it's expected that you will) put on concerts, then it's unfair for you to be billed. If the first XI reached a schoolboys' final and were to play at Wembley, would PE be billed for the coach and other associated costs?
  4. swotboy

    swotboy New commenter

    Now been told by finance that the music dept was given the invoices by mistake....so all sorted! Hope any others in the same situation have the same straight forward outcome!
    Thanks for your advice and help

Share This Page