1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Provisional GTCS

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by jumblyjack, Oct 12, 2018.

1. jumblyjack

jumblyjack New commenter

SOOOO...I got a temporary job. But after 13 years am now being offered a salary as a probationary teacher. I’ve been told I will have this until the provisional is up but when I checked the GTCS it included previous teaching experience in the UK. I’m confused (and also unwilling to take an over £12k pay cut) does previous experience count? If so, why is GTC saying I’m provisional? If not, how long is this going to go on for?
    The council are saying that that’s it. I’m a probationer as long as I’m a provisional but wondered if anyone knew what to do or had been in a similar situation. Would literally earn more at Tesco’s at this rate!

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@jumblyjack from what I remember, it can include this, but more often than not doesn't.

It's a provisional registration up until the GTCS can get enough information about your previous teaching. You should probably give them a phone to discuss with them - they can be a pain for a lot of things, but my experience in dealing with them by email or phone has always been constructive. From memory again, they should be able just to take into account your teaching elsewhere in the UK and then transfer that.