1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Provision maps-how many hours?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by NQT1986, Dec 28, 2015.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I am a new SENco and have been told that if a child is on the SEN register, they should each have a provision map showing 12.5 hours of provision for them each week. Do you as SENCos find this is something you can acheive for each and every child? Can anyone give me any pointers as to how this can be done?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Can you say who has determined this and the rationale behind it ? How transparent is your criteria for placement on the SEND record ? You may need to look at how you define SEND - I think this as a starting point would be very useful.

3. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

NQT 1986. I think you may be getting confused with the amount of hours of support a child on the SEN register needs to be receiving from school before they might be considered for an EHCP. In my authority this is approx 13 hours/ week which would put the child at the top end of Wave 3 provision. It would be impossible to fund 12.5 hours for every child as this would suggest that they all had a similar high level of need. As Minnie me says, you need to be clear as to the criteria for putting children on the Sen register, but I would imagine that you would have children in Wave 2 who were having short term interventions that took less that 12.5 hours a week to deliver.
    Do remember too that the hours support a child receives does not have to be 1:1 support.
    I hope that helps. Your local authority should have some guidance that they can advise you with. Have you also tried chatting to more experienced SENCOs in your locality? It's a difficult job to do on your own and the SENCOs I know all rely on each other for support, no matter how many years they have been doing the job. Good luck!

minnie me likes this.