1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Provision for Mathematics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by dsheehan13, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi Folks

My school at the minute is reviewing the timetable because as we all know numeracy and literacy should be at the centre of the curriculum, hence was wondering what's the provision for mathematics at KS3, KS4 and A-level. Currently we have

210mins for KS3
    180mins for KS4
    330mins for A-level

Would this be the norm?

2. Hi Folks

My school at the minute is reviewing the timetable because as we all know numeracy and literacy should be at the centre of the curriculum, hence was wondering what's the provision for mathematics at KS3, KS4 and A-level. Currently we have

210mins for KS3
    180mins for KS4
    330mins for A-level

Would this be the norm?

3. KYP

KYP New commenter

Lucky you! We have 260mins for all AL courses. We do however have the same time for AL Further Maths, whereas I gather a lot of places only get reduced time for Further Maths. (Large 6th form college)

4. Cheers KYP, Alevel is to be reduced and rightly so however we were hoping that GCSE could be increased.

5. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

KS3 180 mins
    KS4 240 mins
    KS5 300 mins

6. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

KS3 180
    KS4 180
    KS5 240
    No wonder we find it harder to get the results...[​IMG]

7. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

KS3 200
    KS4 200
    KS5 275

BUT, for 6 weeks less than most schools each year. Our head cannot quite grasp the fact that we have pretty much a term less than most schools over 2 years. Because we work Saturdays he thinks this covers it, regardsless of the fact that the time per week is not increased!

8. KS3 180 mins
    KS4 150mins
    KS5 270 mins

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

KS3 225 mins
    KS4 225 mins
    IB HL: 270 mins
    IB SL and ST: 180 mins

10. DM

DM New commenter

Year 7: 150 mins
    Years 8 to 11: 200 mins
    A Level mathematics: 300 mins
    A Level further mathematics: 250 mins

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

KS3 and KS4: 180 mins
    KS5: 300 mins
    A level Further Maths: Year 12 240 mins, Year 13 180 mins

12. Cheers Folks for the valuable information as regards provision. Now i can return to the SLT with some evidence as to what the normal provision should be, particular at GCSE. Personally 180mins doesn't cut it especially when they allocated this time over 3 days, if they wanted miracles i would of called myself Lazarus!

13. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

We have 175min (an independent prep school) in KS3, this is 3 x singles and 1 x double (single lesson is 35min)