1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Proving bread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sparklepig2002, Aug 22, 2015.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Can anyone suggest a fool proof way of proving bread. I tried to make a focaccia today-I put it outside in the sun to rise-which it did, but when I cooked it, it was as hard as a bullet.

I do not have a proving drawer and no where warm to put the dough to rise.

I do have a bread maker which proves as part of particular programmes, but if I just make the dough and take it out to shape into rolls etc, it never rises.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

At this time of year I find that it usually proves fine on the worktop in my very sunny kitchen. In other seasons it either goes in the airing cupboard or in front of the log burner. Mr BS is used to being asked to get a fire on because I am making bread!

Are you bashing the dough right down when you shape it? I know that recipes say to punch it down but I always keep as much air in as possible by handling it carefully. Another top tip is to make the dough as wet as you can without it losing its ability to hold its shape.

3. sparklepig2002

thank you BS

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I just do a long bashing then shape and rise.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Going against the usual advice, I give my bread a slow prove in a cool place. We have a cool utility room and it does well there. Warmth makes it rise quickly but slower proving gives more flavour as it allows the dough to ferment ever so slightly.

6. sparklepig2002

Interesting-thanks Nick. I think perhaps I am too impatient and jsut need to wait a bit longer!

7. aery

aery Established commenter

Overnight in the fridge. The flavour is better too.
    Did you have a damp tea towel over the focaccia? Direct sunlight will put a dry crust on the proving bread.

(@sparklepig2002)

8. sparklepig2002

I put oiled cling film over it to stop the ants being interested.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Sounds like your yeast could be pretty lame and well past its best

For a foccacia, with fresh yeast, you ought to be able to get decent results from leaving it in a reasonably warm room for 40 or so mins

You can prove in microwave in seconds but I suspect it's frowned upon

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Are you using water that is too hot or too cold?