1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Providing Work for Children not at School

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cjlawton, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Wondering if anyone can clarify the following situation as we can'tseem to find the information anywhere else...We
    have just had 2 children withdrawn from our school (for reasons on the
    playground of which there is no evidence). The parents say this is a
    temporary withdrawal, but have not said for how long, and are requesting that we provide work every day at 3.30 to be collected for the children to do. As a staff we are reluctant to do this (due to the circumstances surrounding the withdrawal of the children) and particularly as the younger child is in Reception and so would be mostly doing practical work were she at school.
    Are we legally obliged to provide work in this situation or is it down to the discretion of the school? We don't want to not comply with legal requirements but at the same time would rather not provide worksheets if we don't have to (which is what has been requested) as we really don't believe that they will be productive for the chidlren.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Wondering if anyone can clarify the following situation as we can'tseem to find the information anywhere else...We
    have just had 2 children withdrawn from our school (for reasons on the
    playground of which there is no evidence). The parents say this is a
    temporary withdrawal, but have not said for how long, and are requesting that we provide work every day at 3.30 to be collected for the children to do. As a staff we are reluctant to do this (due to the circumstances surrounding the withdrawal of the children) and particularly as the younger child is in Reception and so would be mostly doing practical work were she at school.
    Are we legally obliged to provide work in this situation or is it down to the discretion of the school? We don't want to not comply with legal requirements but at the same time would rather not provide worksheets if we don't have to (which is what has been requested) as we really don't believe that they will be productive for the chidlren.
    Thanks for any help!

3. I would not be providing any work for them at all.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Agree entirely.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The school has no legal requirement to provide work for pupils if their parents have voluntarily withdrawn them from the school.
    However, as teachers you have a legal requirement to do so if instructed to do so by your HT. (However, I suspect that this is not the case).

6. I've recently had a similar request. A parent is taking their child out of school for a two week unauthorized holiday (because it is cheaper) and wanted all the worksheets to take with them so they"didn't fall behind"! You can imagine our thoughts on that! I explained that I didn't use many worksheets and when I did it was closely linked to the teaching I had done in the classroom, so without teaching input beforehand they wouldn't be of much use.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think if they have provided written confirmation that their children have been withdrawn from school you are well within your rights to give their places to other children on your waiting list. Temporary withdrawal does not mean you have to keep the place open. (You might want to check by asking this on the HT forum, but I have a vague feeling it is true.)

Definitely provide work if asked. Photocopy the lesson plans, in whatever format and send those home. Then it is up to parents to do the teaching. Don't send resources obviously.

8. if it is authorized holiday (which is generally family reasons - not butlins being cheaper out of season!) a set of worksheets is useful - but if it doesn't work - ask the children to keep a diary - writing and illustration - this can also arise with performing children
    otherwise - no! no! no!

9. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

You're not required to provide any work if they have been voluntarily withdrawn. If the parent wishes to home-school the child, then there are various things to do with the LA and making it official etc. We had something vaguely similar last year with a child not going away with the other year 6 children for a week; the mum asked the boy's teacher to provide work as she was going to keep him at home during that week. She was told that by doing so it would be an unauthorised absence and that if she wanted to home-school him she'd have to do it officially through the LA.
    It sounds like the parent doesn't understand about assessing children and providing appropriate work with added support or extension where necessary, and doing it every day.