1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Providing work before I offically start contract question

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by melanissa, Apr 4, 2012.

1. P.S Apologies for the many typos, I'm using the world's worst laptop (with temperamental external keyboard as it's kaput!!)

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would politely reply to the request saying that you are too busy with your present role to undertake a task for your future employer right now until your present contract ends.

3. "You hadn't really thought about it" ????
    You're not speaking to SLT now, this is a board of hardened classroom teachers. Do you expect us to believe that?

4. It's hard enough to get the teachers at my school to write blooming schemes of work - and they are employed already!!! I usually get new staff starting on 1st day and holding out their hand and saying 'can i have the scheme please?' Your new school must be over the moon with you!

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

You start your new job in September.
    That's it.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Just re-read your first post and think I misunderstood your position at present. You are already working as a qualified teacher, I believe, and will be paid by your current school until 31st August, so my advice about them taking you on earlier is obsolete as it would only apply to a PGCE student.
    Even so, they can't be directing you to do any work for them at present as you are under the direction of your current Head and should therefore tell the new school that Directed Duties in your current post will make it unworkable for you to be planning for them in this school year as well.
    You might want to add that you will, of course, turn up for work in September with enough of the SOW planned for your immediate needs at the start of term.