1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Proud to be from Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

York hospital car park - big enough, pay with cash or card or contactless. Park and ride has free parking and a reasonable flat fee fare with buses every ten minutes.

John Radcliffe hospital Oxford - not enough parking. Machines don't take cards. Park and ride - buses run every half an hour and you have to pay to park as well. No weekend service.

How I have cursed at Harrogate hospital for the ten minute wait to get in the car park at busy times. Half an hour is normal in Oxford, much longer not uncommon.

So glad I live in God's Own County!

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Hmmm... wish the bus station was nearer the train station, or a shuttle service operated. The airport is also very poorly served by public transport and you have to pay even to drop off. This results in cars dropping passengers on the narrow approach road instead, causing angry queues.
    £4.80 for the 3 mile bus trip to use the town centre (job centre's there too. Signing on is an expensive hobby) or £6 for 2hrs parking. And they wonder why the city centre's dying on its feet.
    Wish we didn't have to pay for disposal of garden turf, soil or stones. £14 per bin bag-sized load, take it there yourself. This has resulted in massive fly-tipping.

On the plus side, I was nearly 4hrs in St James Hospital last week and the multi-storey charged me... £2.70!

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My daughter went to York University and I would visit her as often as possible! First Class train seat (it really wasn’t much more expensive!) and one or two nights at the Royal York hotel. She would come and stay overnight as well - a bit of luxury after her shared house along Fulford Road. I have fond memories of York and wish I lived nearer!

4. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

Good for yo and your local council/infrastructure. However, this is often not the case for a lot of us. Hospital near a relative in Crewe. Sometimes spaces, sometimes not. £3 for 25 mins to 4 hours. Local town centre a 20 minute bus ride away, Parking £3 for 4 to 10 hours, admittedly around four per hour. No-one risks the 1 to 2 hours parking for a hospital appointment that could be two hours late. Sad state of affairs, but the hospital suggests you leave your car behind and take the bus. This would be fine if you want lots of walking exercise and two buses each way, and perhaps a nice day out with a picnic and flask of tea.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm from Scarborough - their hospital is not bad either.

towncryer and sparklepig2002 like this.
  6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Our recycling arrangements in Selby District are second to none as well. AND houses are cheap.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Why is it only Yorkshire types who do this? Essentially it is racist, thinking you are better than someone from any other county.

ajrowing and Mangleworzle like this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I live in Cambridgeshire and all of my comparative measures are at least as good as the OP, better in some cases.

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I used to live in Selby whilst my dad was on the Drax building team.

On the down side parking at both Sheffield hospitals is dreadful. Too small and very expensive!

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D

If it’s a black Yorkshire person is the ‘racism’ negated? If it’s a Yorkshire man is it both sexist and ‘racist’?

Perhaps it’s not ‘racist’ at all, perhaps it’s countyist?

Ohhh...what if it’s an alien who secretly settled in Yorkshire many years ago after their craft crashed near Pocklington Canal. Would their vocal praise for living near one of Yorkshire’s finest canals with its abundant wildlife & 9 Grade 2 listed locks be deemed ‘racist’, countyist or speciesist?

It’s such a minefield isn’t it :rolleyes:.

11. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

I have long been an admirer of the robust attitude to life cultivated by the inhabitants of that part of the UK.

[​IMG]

Not a patch on Lancashire, though.

Jamvic, agathamorse, Alice K and 7 others like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oooh intersectionality!
    Funny how you come across a word for the first time today and immediately happen upon a chance to use it!

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

It's not racist at all. The OP said they were proud to be from Yorkshire, not that they were better than anyone else. It's not racist to be proud of where you live. I'm am also proud to be from Yorkshire. It's a very special place. If you're not from there you wouldn't understand-as you obviously don't from your post. :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    agathamorse, lh13, Alice K and 5 others like this.
  14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

@BertieBassett2
    I spent a year as a student living on Fulford Road too. :)

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Intergalactic intersectionality no less.
    How woke am I. ;)

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We don’t think it Ivar. Yorkshire folk KNOW it. :)

17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D Love it.

Keep it coming you Yorkshire folk. :)

18. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

From LOTSW. Inventor of the Forty Foot Ferret.
    It is an open question;life. Maybe we had to die to get here. So this is heaven. Or the other place. It can't be the other place, in Yorkshire. It would be further South.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

In Lancashire, the correct side of the Pennines, the saying is

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred,
    strong in the arm, but weak in the head.

as demonstrated by anyone from Yorkshire. They are very level headed because they have a chip on both shoulders. (And they didn't even invent the Yorkshire pudding!)

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

This thread makes me wonder what happened to Jacob. Remember him?