1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

protocol for time off to visit schools for job applications

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by panandtilt, Mar 7, 2016.

1. panandtilt

panandtilt New commenter

I am applying for a few senior positions and wondered if there is any protocol for taking time off to visit the schools I am applying to?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry, no.

You have no right to take time off for school visits.

In fact - many teachers do not realise this - you usually (unless there is a local agreement in your contract - bet there isn't!) do not have a right to time off for interviews even . . .

It all depends on the goodwill of your Head.

Normally, time off is given for interviews. But it doesn't have to be, so instead of telling the Head and saying Hi Bill, I've got an interview on Tuesday so I'll be away all day, you ask permission.

For the visit, you could try looking at your timetable and see when you could go with minimum disruption (perhaps a colleague could be able to do some cover?) and then present a solution to the Head.

By the way - have you read all the applications advice articles in the Professional Advice Hub?

Best wishes