1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prospective tutor needing some advice on getting started

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Moony, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hi

I'd like to get into doing private tuition but i've no idea what to do and where to start, aside from sticking a notice up in my local shop. Do LEA/LA's hold registers for tutors or is there something similer to that that isn't LA run? Also what sort of things would i need to be aware of tax wise and declaring the income.

Thanks in advance

2. Hi,

I hope you can get an answer or two on here as I have very similar questions! One thing I would also like to know is how you get paid by the parent.. is it cash/cheque in hand? In that case you just pay it straight into your bank don't you?!

Good luck!

3. Well, your first step should be to register on www.firsttutors.co.uk.
    - How much are you going to charge?
    - Have a timetable with your free hours ready, or you will get yourself in a muddle.

You should always push for cash as payment, or you will be forced by your bank to set up a business bank account... with all the charges that incurs!