1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prospective Primary trainee that still doesn't know her Times Tables.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marbledove, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I'm university student who's looking into doing graduate training as a Primary teacher, looking specifically at KS1. Though I may do a general Primary PGCE so I always have the option to teach a wider range of ages in the future if I wanted to.
    However I still don't know my time tables, I've always found it hard to remember numbers and I was never pushed to in Primary school, despite getting zero on the weekly times table tests no one ever did anything about it. I can't exactly teach times tables children if I don't know them myself. I some how manage to blag my way through my whole educational life by counting on my fingers, I even received a B in GCSE Maths first try when I was 16 by revising like mad.
    Despite this, I'm dreading the future numeracy tests that come with PGCE entry exams and the QTS numeracy skills test. I hear some questions are timed so that you have to respond in 10 seconds, how can I expect to do this if I don't even know my times tables?
    I've never enjoyed numeracy, there are some parts of maths that I really like, I actually really use to enjoy pythagorus theorem and triganometry (probably because I was allowed to use a calculator) but when it comes down to the basics I freeze. Don't even get me started on prime numbers, I use to dread those.
    What's the best and quickest way of teaching myself times tables before the end of this year? Is it basically a perseverance of memorising and quizzing myself? I just seem to get a complete mental block when trying to learn numbers.

2. Hi, I'm sure other teachers will have better ideas than this but to get you started the Ladybird book and CD of times tables is useful in 2 ways. The book has each times table on a hundred square and shows you the visual patterns and the CD has some somgs that might help you as well. Hope this helps a little bit, I do family learning and some of the mums really aprreciated seeing the patterns to help understand them.
    Good luck applynig for your course.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Andrew Jeffrey, our resident maths wizz, has published a great number of maths aids, including one which helps teach the times tables - I've used some of his ideas in my own teaching. He pops along on here quite regularly, but in case he doesn't see this thread, he has a website, which might have the document listed on it, but should it not, has his contact details.