1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

prospective GTP English trainee - in school now - any advice?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mcartwright02, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi

I've been working voluntarily in Primary and Secondary schools for the last
    four months now, and am hoping to start my GTP to teach English in September. I
    have about 2 months left of my voluntary experience and want to ask whether
    anyone, particularly experienced English teachers, and those recently
    qualified, has any advice for me. I'm currently in the school where (hopefully)
    I will complete my GTP, so you may wish to bear that in mind. The English Dep.
    teachers there are very friendly, so I've made myself a timetable so I'm
    spending time with every yeargroup (except KS5) and almost every dep. teacher,
    trying to support different pupils in each lesson, making sure not to tread on
    the teacher's (or anyone else's) toes!

What should I be asking about/looking at/doing? I'm trying to find out about
    how the National Curric. translates into lessons, about behaviour management,
    and about teacher techniques and practices. Anything else?

Any advice is much appreciated - thanks!

2. Hi

I've been working voluntarily in Primary and Secondary schools for the last
    four months now, and am hoping to start my GTP to teach English in September. I
    have about 2 months left of my voluntary experience and want to ask whether
    anyone, particularly experienced English teachers, and those recently
    qualified, has any advice for me. I'm currently in the school where (hopefully)
    I will complete my GTP, so you may wish to bear that in mind. The English Dep.
    teachers there are very friendly, so I've made myself a timetable so I'm
    spending time with every yeargroup (except KS5) and almost every dep. teacher,
    trying to support different pupils in each lesson, making sure not to tread on
    the teacher's (or anyone else's) toes!

What should I be asking about/looking at/doing? I'm trying to find out about
    how the National Curric. translates into lessons, about behaviour management,
    and about teacher techniques and practices. Anything else?

Any advice is much appreciated - thanks!

3. ammonia

ammonia New commenter

It sounds like you're very much on the right track :) Perhaps it would be worth getting a head start on other GTPers starting next year (as you know and have access to your school) by getting hold of school policies in relation to behaviour, inclusion, health and safety etc. Each of these documents, if appropriately annotated, could constitute a piece of evidence for your Q standards. Similarly, it might be worth beginning to reflect on certain educational 'issues' (such as inclusion, behaviour, relationship building, learning styles etc.) and writing one or two page summaries on what you find.
    Many people may disagree with this, and I was certainly told not to do anything in preparation as the year will be intensive enough, but I certainly wish I'd attempted to find out about all of thses things and do some write-ups before I started to give myself a head start.
    That said, are the Q standards changing next year? Even if they are, I'm sure any research you do into school policy and educational theory more generally would be linkable to any number of standards.

4. I'm assuming you have applied to training providers, then? They should be able to tell you the main things to focus on...

5. ammonia

ammonia New commenter

Oops! Sorry, I assumed they already had a place and wanted to prepare in advance.

6. Try to look at changes in behaviour ... both pupils and teachers. If a pupil does X how does the teacher react? How do they get them back on track?
    Likewise, if you see that a teacher is doing something noticeably different, does it have an impact on the pupils? If so, which ones? Positive or Negative?
    If possible, try to see how some pupils behave in lessons DIRECTLY BEFORE their English lesson. If little Johnny is viewed as a bit of a toe-rag around school, but the teacher in English has got them working really well then go and see what the teacher beforehand does with them. This will then give you an idea of what the English teacher does differently to get them working well.
    This sounds ridiculously snooty and esoteric, but look for the things which you don't see. The little glance towards a pupil, a click of the fingers which is intended for one pupil alone, the way a teacher loudly praises one pupil but then just gives a quiet "well done" whilst passing the desk of another. When done correctly, these are the things which make teachers stand out above "instructors". What works for one teacher won't necessarily work for another - but having an idea of what "might" work will give you a good starting point.

7. Maybe they have, but they didn't say... I just wanted to make sure they didn't think that just because they had a school wanting to put them through that it meant they would be able to do the GTP in September!