1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prosecco the new Asti?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Dec 27, 2018.

?

Prosecco love it or loath it?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2019.
  1. Love it

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Loath it

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

So what's your view of it, great and good or cheap and trashy? We seem to be overun with it at the moment, so is it terribly trendy or border line old hat?

The grapes are different but is the marketing targeting the new version of the Spumante target market or is it really a decent Champagne substitute?

Just pondering...

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I like it.

anotherauntsally and needabreak like this.
  3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Never tried it. According to many experts a really good champagne substitute is English sparkling white wine.

nizebaby, needabreak and minnie me like this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hate it - sorry - total waste of money . If you want fizz buy the real stuff

Laphroig and BelleDuJour like this.
  5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I used to love Asti in the 90s and Lambrusco too! I don't have it now as my husband is not keen on it and a bottle is too much just for me to drink. My Scottish female relatives,sisters-in laws and, now grown-up nieces, are all obsessed with Prosecco,which makes present buying quite easy as there is endless marchandise available to buy as well as a bottle of the stuff itself.

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

It is good but the same price as champagne.

I much prefer cava to prosecco.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Apparently it took over from Cava when it got trashy but is now being overtaken again by cava.
    But I am a guttersnipe.

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I do like Prosecco. I am looking forward to having a little at new year now baby is born! However, Asti was what I grew up with and I think it's fab. I can just never seen to find it in the shops anymore.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Drunken dragons over airports in the New Year.

needabreak likes this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Prefer Cava to be honest although we had our last bottle of Kappler Cremant d'Alsace on Christmas day. Last one of a dozen I brought back from a holiday to Colmar in 2014. Got another half dozen but I got those from Lidl.

smoothnewt likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In Italy they are having Prosecco wars with mafia families trying to take over the vineyards.

needabreak likes this.
  12. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Prosecco is so yesterday, darling.

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Still prefer Cava but that might be just habit.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Fizzy wine, including champagne often gives me an instant headache and too frequently tastes like perfume. I have had some that doesn't do this, but now I don't take the risk and avoid it.

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I was just writing this when Mang's post above, appeared.

I'm virtually T total as any alcohol including all wines, and lagers other than a pint of real ale gives me a headache. So, I ask myself, why?

Anyway, the upstart is that I am always driving home for everybody.

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Exactly what I was thinking, it will be when the next "new" thing takes to the shelves, it's clearly currently a lucrative business but for how long? Why do we it into this media and social marketing guff?

17. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

@Mangleworzle, I could have written your post! My thoughts exactly.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It depends on what one. Most DOC / DOCG are good. Comparing with Champagne though is like comparing Pinot Grigio with a White Burgandy.

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

This is alarming news.
    Back in the '80s, when Prosecco was unheard of over here, a friend and I were teaching English in the Veneto. After class on a Tuesday night, a group of my students and I would go to the local restaurant for a glass of Prosecco and a bowl of Tiramisu. I'd never come across either of these delights, but it was a local custom as these were regional specialities.
    My friend was based in the village of Valdobbiadene, the home of Prosecco, and some of her students were the owners of the various "cantine" where the wine was made. She had many a jolly evening hosted by these students, drinking the wine. I was pleased for them that the wine has really taken off over the years, as they were good people. I do hope they have not suffered at the hands of the Mafia!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

My husband bought me a case of Crémant d'Alsace for my birthday. Lovely stuff!

blazer likes this.